hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:18 pm

I want to do this mod

http://jbx9.free.fr/...x.php?page=OPSW

But I can't find anywhere that sells the M10x1.25 male to M10x1.0 female adapter in the UK. I was going to order from the French site mentioned, but there is a minimum order of 11 Euros, and that's without the postage costs. Alternatively I have read it is possible to retap 1/8 NPT to M10x1.0 so maybe I could find somewhere that sells M10x1.25 male to 1/8 NPT female adapters (or even just buy an 1/8NPT oil pressure switch?)

Any thoughts people

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:16 pm

Did you read the comments at the bottom of the page ? There's some other useful info there that might help smile.gif

The citroen pressure switch was available off ebay, I looked it up a while ago but never bothered getting it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:45 pm

I just looked at that, re cutting the thread from M12 x 1.5 to M10x1.25 might be a bit of a job (I've never tried). Can't just be a case of running am M10x1 die down the bolt to re cut it ?

http://www.eps-autop..._eps/7.0019.jpg

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:22 pm

I dunno, never reduced a thread that way, same pitch size so should be possible ?

Might be able to buy a reducing bush/collar/adaptor thingy ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dallasRUS

dallasRUS

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:50 pm

http://www.conrad.fr...earch=842168-55

#6 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:26 pm

You cannot reduce a 12mm thread by running a M10 die down it. You would not be able to get it on and would almost certainly break the die.

The root of an M12 thread is about 10.2mm if its a rolled thread. If you put the switch in a lathe and turn the threads off to the root diameter you can cut a M10 x 1.25 thread down it with a tailstock die holder to keep it concentric.

If you can find me where to buy the right switch, I would have a go and if successful would be happy to do a switch for you for the cost of return postage.

Regards,

Lee H

#7 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:26 pm

QUOTE(dallasRUS @ Tue 20th Apr 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I know I can order from there but as I said, there is a minimum order of 11 Euros, and that's without the postage costs. It's also questionable whether or not they will ship to the UK anyway.

#8 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:31 pm

QUOTE(leehenty @ Tue 20th Apr 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You cannot reduce a 12mm thread by running a M10 die down it. You would not be able to get it on and would almost certainly break the die.

The root of an M12 thread is about 10.2mm if its a rolled thread. If you put the switch in a lathe and turn the threads off to the root diameter you can cut a M10 x 1.25 thread down it with a tailstock die holder to keep it concentric.

If you can find me where to buy the right switch, I would have a go and if successful would be happy to do a switch for you for the cost of return postage.

Regards,

Lee H

Of course this might mean I have 200 small packages arrive at once rolleyes.gif

#9 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:39 pm

QUOTE(hammerman @ Tue 20th Apr 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I know I can order from there but as I said, there is a minimum order of 11 Euros, and that's without the postage costs. It's also questionable whether or not they will ship to the UK anyway.

I was thinking of using the citroen switch with the 12 mm thread and altering it. If you can find me the ebay link to buy one, I will have a go at my own expense in the pursuit of all things TDM.

If it works we know how to do the mod and we can get a small kit of bits made up to do the job for a nominal fee available to members only. The lathe work is a ten minute job.

I'm an engineer by the way as my other hobby, so I have a lot of machinery. (back street mechanicking really)

#10 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:59 pm

What citroen car is the 12mm threaded switch for ?

#11 dallasRUS

dallasRUS

• 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:04 pm

hammerman,
ok I see, really I missed that you've already mentioned those site

leehenty,
M12x1.5 thread at least for Citroen LNA ('76-'86) or VISA ('78-'91).

Maybe you can do this from M14? Maybe there is extra steel on bolt for good M10 thread.
Please search on ebay.co.uk for 'Fiat 50990' , I can't copy-paste right now, need PC reboot but can't smile.gif
But this one for 0.2-0.3 bar, not sure if this fit well for TDM?

Edited by dallasRUS, 20 April 2010 - 04:07 pm.

#12 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:17 pm

As far as I can find out its an Intermotor 50770. I have one ordered only 3.79 and if it works will post back on here. This is the car I think its for: Citroen LNA 652cc Visa Club 1979-1983 Going to do my 900 and see how it goes. Using an led for the indicator.

Regards,

Lee H

#13 dallasRUS

dallasRUS

• 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:20 pm

Yes 50770 is also M12x1.5 and 0.5 bar. Great, please do not forget to post photos please after altering smile.gif

#14 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:27 pm

0.3 bar is only 5 psi not good for a tdm.Let me have a go with the 12mm its almost ideal for the job as the root is 10.2 leaving 0.2 mm for a good tight thread.If it works I will see if my local Intermotor bits man can do me a deal for say 10. The copper washers are the same as a brake banjo but i do have 10mm wide section ones if needed.I will have a fiddle around when the part arrives and get back to you. Regards,Lee H
QUOTE(dallasRUS @ Tue 20th Apr 2010, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes 50770 is also M12x1.5 and 0.5 bar. Great, please do not forget to post photos please after altering smile.gif
Er, I have never posted a photo on here so you will have to bear with me, do you just copy and paste them in or do you have to have them on a photo site like photobucket ? I know about nuts and bolts, computers is a steep learning curve for me. Will attaching the jpeg file to a post work using the 'upload' button ?

#15 dallasRUS

dallasRUS

• 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:34 pm

No problems, I'd like to use http://imageshack.us for this, very easy to use, just click 'Browse',
select file and then big blue upload button. As result there will be link for posting on forum.

#16 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:07 pm

Of course the triumph twin boys already have a solution for this. shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something similar.

www.bonnevilleperformance.com/oil_pressure_guage_kits.htm

#17 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:23 pm

Having had a look at a 900 there may be a clearance problem with the oil tank. if there is, I can come up with a horizontal adapter with whatever thread on one end and a banjo on the other, made in HE 30 alloy. All you need then is a double length banjo bolt. Is the 850 oil tank different ? Can anyone post a close up picture of the oil feed fitting on the 850 engine including where the oil tanks sits relative to it ?
This would help me greatly as i don't know anyone with an 850.

#18 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:53 pm

Lee, I knew some one on here would have access to a lathe (I wish I did, and knew how to use one). I have sent you a PM about this.

The original details for this mod are here

http://jbx9.free.fr/...x.php?page=OPSW

Includes the diagrams and part codes etc.. If all else fails could you turn up brass adapter like the one shown ?

thanks

the photos of the TDM 850 oil feed are on here

http://img524.images...i/p1100450.jpg/

(not my site)

Edited by hammerman, 20 April 2010 - 08:55 pm.

#19 aytcat1

aytcat1

has been here 4ever

• 1,093 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:55 pm

I thought of this idea,my offroader has a two stroke autolube oil tank,on top is a switch operated by a float and wondered if it would be possible to use this system on the 4TX oil tank so when oil is low the dash light comes on as it does when the two stoke oil tank is low.Problem was the oil level switch is about 4"long but came across these and there a lot shorter.Of course it would mean drilling a diam hole in top of tank but seeing as it is a tight rubber seal i wondered if it could possibly work http://www.chingtsan...ycle-parts.html

#20 Guest_leehenty_*

Guest_leehenty_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:43 pm

Oh yes, brass adapters are not a problem. Just got to find a bit of brass hex bar, just copy a standard banjo bolt cross drilling.

I may have a proper switch solution, a bit from a Hinckley Bonneville 2004, but I can't find the part number yet.
It uses a banjo pipe to the head a bit like a TDM and the thread is M10 x 1.25. Just looks like a banjo bolt with a switch built in.

Might be mega bucks, but I will try to find out. Apparently the 1050 triples have one too. (now just have to sneak in my mates shed and borrow his oil switch....) laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users