36 replies to this topic

#1 Gobsheen

Gobsheen

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:29 pm

Hi All,

I'm pretty new on here. I've been riding a fairly old Yamaha 600 Diversion for a couple of years and it's time to upgrade. I had pretty much settled on a TDM 900 until I looked at the V-Strom again. I'd ruled it out for some reason before....no idea what it was! Now, it's caught my interest. I've ridden an SV650 before.....hated the riding position but the engine was great. I think I'd be happier with the 1000 though.....I think. I plan to have the bike for a few years, like an upright position, something a bit different. I'm not a speed demon but like to have the occasional thrill!

I know you blokes are a bit biased but which should I get and why......the V-Strom or TDM?! I'm going to post something similar on a V-Strom site for their view. Any help in making this decision is much appreciated!

Thanks

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:00 pm

QUOTE(Gobsheen @ Sat 27th Mar 2010, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

I'm pretty new on here. I've been riding a fairly old Yamaha 600 Diversion for a couple of years and it's time to upgrade. I had pretty much settled on a TDM 900 until I looked at the V-Strom again. I'd ruled it out for some reason before....no idea what it was! Now, it's caught my interest. I've ridden an SV650 before.....hated the riding position but the engine was great. I think I'd be happier with the 1000 though.....I think. I plan to have the bike for a few years, like an upright position, something a bit different. I'm not a speed demon but like to have the occasional thrill!

I know you blokes are a bit biased but which should I get and why......the V-Strom or TDM?! I'm going to post something similar on a V-Strom site for their view. Any help in making this decision is much appreciated!

Thanks

Praise the Lord!!

#3 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:09 pm

This was exactly the same choice I had to make before I got the TDM (900).
As I cover around 25000 miles a year running costs are important for me as well as reliability.
On that score the TDM won because the oil change is every 6000 miles as opposed to 3000 for the V strom and you can just see a stone going through that oil cooler sat way down there too.

#4 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:20 pm

QUOTE(Gobsheen @ Sat 27th Mar 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

Thanks

Most on here would, I sincerely hope, say TDM.

My main reasons would probably be:

- costs less to run (fuel and servicing)
- is not bl***y ugly
- is not too heavy

yet it still has all the performance you need

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:32 pm

You've also got a tried n tested bike in the 900. Easily capable of 100,000+ miles. Better for filtering as it's slimmer. Have you seen a V-Strom rear end with panniers fitted blink.gif

I test ride seems to be in order smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 SelinaXC

SelinaXC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:09 pm

V-strom looks like a spelling mistake, and it has no tuning fork logo. Here endeth the (errmm unbiased) comparison smile.gif

Selinaxt
Tiger 800XC in black & WR400F rider, cohabiting with two TeDiuMs, a Mk1 and a Mk3.

#7 fredtucker

fredtucker

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:21 pm

I've read that the V-Strom 1000 suffers from even worse screen turbulence than the TDM so be prepared to to search out after-market screens to experiment with .M- Stad Robobrackets seem to be the prefered option.

Fred

#8 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:25 pm

found a link, might be worth looking at.....it puts the DL1000 v-strom vs TDM900 vs Triumph Tiger

http://www.visordown...dm900/4476.html

a few guys I know have v-stroms, when I had my TDM850, the power difference is quite a bit, the v-strom is obviously down on power due to being 650. seat heights are not much difference. The suzuki is built to a budged, after 13000 miles the engine paint was bubbling. The TDM850 I sold with 61500 miles on it and still looked in very good condition.

I think the tank has to come off to change the plugs on the V-storm, how ever they are easily accessable on the TDM but moving the Radiator forward.

Edited by Daveb, 27 March 2010 - 09:50 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#9 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:34 pm

isurrender.gif

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:44 pm

A friend of mine bought a V-Thingy some time ago.

The next week, his income taxes raised by 25%, his daughter turned gothic, his mother-in-law came home every day, his car broke, his teeth felt down and his feet started to stink...
blink.gif

top_640.png

#11 SelinaXC

SelinaXC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:54 pm

QUOTE(JBX @ Sat 27th Mar 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine bought a V-Thingy some time ago.

The next week, his income taxes raised by 25%, his daughter turned gothic, his mother-in-law came home every day, his car broke, his teeth felt down and his feet started to stink...
blink.gif

You forgot to mention his willy fell off too!
Tiger 800XC in black & WR400F rider, cohabiting with two TeDiuMs, a Mk1 and a Mk3.

#12 chudson

chudson

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:36 pm

I think the tank has to come off to change the plugs on the V-storm, how ever they are easily accessable on the TDM but moving the Radiator forward.

Maybe true but to change air filter in 900 you have to take off tank.
Leaving the looks behind as everybody can judge which looks better for him. I'd only mention the lack of off road tyres for TDM. This is a big disadvantage of our machines if somebody likes to get the bike on some dirt .

I have never sat on V-strom but it looks like having the weight centre a bit lower - is it true ?
I think both bikes are nice but as someone mentioned before the V-s is a bit underpower comparing to 9er and it woudl be better to compare TDM to V-strom 1000.

For me both are fine looking machines

TDM 900 2003r Silver
Orginal Yamaha side panniers and small Givi topcase /Scotoiler / Touring screen/ Heated grips/ Givi crash bars/

#13 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:19 pm

QUOTE(Gobsheen @ Sat 27th Mar 2010, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,
I had pretty much settled on a TDM 900 until I looked at the V-Strom again.

Interesting, that's exactly where most other people usually start to loose interest. laugh.gif
The TDM is not a piece of art either but at least it's not offensive.

Still a serious alternative for the visually impaired though: V-Stroms are good fun, have great engines (both the revvy 650 and chunky 1000 go really well) but are quite thirsty and of even worse build-quality / made to a budget than TDMs. Then again, a V-Strom is still a budget bike; at over a staggering 8K and some curious colour-schemes the current TDM has entered marketing-cuckoo territory, seemingly targetting the visually- as well as mentally impaired consumer laugh.gif

BMW's F650 (which is secretly an 800, slightly detuned) seems a bargain at 6k: more fun than a TDM and V-Strom put together, looks slightly weird but modern and fresh, keeps its value, great accessories, and 70 mpg or even better if you take it steady.
That was not a banana, Dougal

#14 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:04 am

Yeah, my GF rides a 2009 BMW F650GS (twin 800) - nice ride. Worth a test ride IMO. I've put about 500 miles on hers and I like it. Flicks around in the turns nicely w/ the light weight and wide handlebars.

#15 chudson

chudson

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:45 am

Since you've mentioned the new BMW F650/800 Twin . I think that's my future bike. I'm not going to sell my TDM till I can afford GS ( preferably 800GS). It has everything i wish for in a bike. Off road abilities, Good engine for touring , Not to heavy as 1200Gs. Low fuel consumption and Normal size tyres.
Though it is a bit expensive.
TDM 900 2003r Silver
Orginal Yamaha side panniers and small Givi topcase /Scotoiler / Touring screen/ Heated grips/ Givi crash bars/

#16 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:59 am

Here's a shot of the beemer next to a real bike. In case you're wondering, yes, that is my TDM.

#17 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:00 pm

Same dilemma I faces some years ago so I test rode both a 1000V-Strom and a TDM900. I tried the V-Strom first and found the engine agricultural, lumpy and sounded like the Yamaha TT600R single I had at the time. The screen created so much turbulance at 60+mph i couldn't see! I then tried a TDM900 and found it a joy to ride. By comparison a smooth engine but with enough character to be enjoyable and a screen that didn't effect my vision. I'm on my second 9'er now and have been mightily pleased with them both. I only upgraded to my second one because I wanted ABS.Same dilemma I faces some years ago so I test rode both a 1000V-Strom and a TDM900. I tried the V-Strom first and found the engine agricultural (lumpy and sounded like the Yamaha TT600R single I had at the time. The screen created so much turbulence at 60+mph i couldn't see! I then tried a TDM900 and found it a joy to ride. By comparison a smooth engine but with enough character to be enjoyable and a screen that didn't effect my vision. I'm on my second 9'er now and have been mightily pleased with them both. I only upgraded to my second one because I wanted ABS.

Edited by Baron, 28 March 2010 - 12:01 pm.

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#18 MotoBloke

MotoBloke

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 191 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:27 am

My bike previous to my mk2 TDM was the Wee Strom (650), from new for 75000km. It's screen's turbulance was fixable, for my 182cm or 5'11" frame with the addition of the MadStad adjustable brackets for the screen attachment to the bike. I found the best , low turbulence, arrangement with a larget Givi screen and the bracket adjustment set so that the screen swept back a little more than standard.

http://www.madstad.c.../it.A/id.121/.f

(PS TDM owners: There is a VERY interesting universal adjusting bracket on the MadStad site....)

The 650 engine was sweet and smooth - like the SV. The paint on mine was good and durable - no flaking, and I never saw flakey paint on any other neither.
I also found it (650) as economical, city or highway, as my 5 litre per 100km TDM.
Most pannier sets are tooo wide. I dropped my exhaust (custom with Staintune can) so that I could filter with panniers - that worked well.
I found the DL650 seat quite comfortable, compared to the TDM mk2, - and I do long distance touring and did most of the Wee Stroms miles as an all -day inner city courier bike ('dispatch' or 'messenger' duty).
From all the reports on the DL1000, it's in need of serious tuning to get it running smooth... and it's just too heavy and thirsty anyway. The 650 - with comes with same frame, tank, brakes and wheels/tyres - is just a better balanced package.
In my opinion, TDMs, in most of the mk2 colours or mk 1 red are far better looking than any V Strom of any colour. That being said, neither bike is 'pretty'.

In the real world, there isn't much use for the extra power of the 900. It's a bigger grin factor to find yourself regularly rounding up sports bikes in the twisties. When they blast past in the straights, they know that it's an empty gesture as twisting the throttle on is not a skill.

hope this helps...

MotoBloke
www.ShineMyBike.com
Sinny, Ostraya
98 TDM850L 4TX series aka Mk2a 146000km
Tiger screen; Laser ProStock exhaust; large old Givi topbox; ProTaper ATV 'bars; BarkBusters with Storm guards; CoyoteMoto crash knobs; Aldi GoCruise GPS; Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyres.
Previous loves:
Suzuki DL650 V-Strom K6; Honda XL600VH Transalp X 2; Suzuki GS500; Yam XTZ750 Super Tenere; Yam FJ1200U; MotoGuzzi V65 Lario; Kawa KLR600; Honda XL350 RF.

post-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 103 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:01 am

I've ridden a V-Strom a couple of times (i too was weighing up the V-Strom vs TDM vs Tiger thing) as I had the SV650 before hand and I love the engine.... what made me choose the TDM was the suspension setup for starters - the Wee has a very basic setup that would have needed work for my intended 2-up riding....

also, the fuel injected 650 just lacks the beautiful feel of the carbies....

and the TDM aint pretty, but at least it aint got that seriously ugly tail end.....

having said that though, i've ridden my brother's SV650S since getting the TDM and i still think its got the sweeter engine and Suzuki know how to make a nice gearbox....
Even with an IQ of 6,000 its still brown trousers time....

2006 TDM900 - Silver, Staintune exhausts, EFI mod, centre stand, Ventura rack. More to come!

Other bikes I've known:
CB250
VTR250
SV650

#20 craig david

craig david

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:58 pm

I had a DL1000 two bikes ago. I've got a TDM900 now (had a CB1300S inbetween).

The DL1000 was ok. Suzuki's lower screen reduced turbulance. I rode it to Romania and back. I fitted genuine Suzuki panniers and topbox just before leaving and they made it wobble above 85mph which was very bad. The brakes weren't that good and it was thirstier than my TDM too.

Overall I prefer the TDM. The DL650 is better than the DL1000 in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users