15 replies to this topic

#1 futtfutt

futtfutt

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:40 am

"Britain has always been stubbornly unconvinced about the Yamaha TDM. That's Britain's loss"

The opening lines on a very positive review of my favourite mount, entitled 'The Odd Twin' , in the April edition of 'Ride' mag.
Well worth a read and carpe-tdm.net gets a thumbs up as well good.gif
An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us.
One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies, and ego.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humilty, kindness, empathy and truth.
The boy thought a while then asked "Which Wolf wins?"

"The one you feed" replied the old man...

#2 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:45 pm

Just got it today.

At last a decent article on the TDM. About time.

not a bad write up at all on the TDM and no piss take about " dont say it too fast" and Carpe get good mention.

Must be someone on here who has helped ?

Edited by Geordie Guy, 16 February 2011 - 02:46 pm.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,241 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:09 pm

oooooohh, you are a tease Ivan tongue.gif Can't quite read the print from 'ere.

The photographer did a good job tho smile.gif Looks nice in the wan with the rider stood next to it.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:14 pm

First time I have bought Ride for a while, because of the article, and I agree Ivan , it was good stuff. Seems a decent magazine.

In contrast, MCN arrived today and much of the content, once again, was utterly beyond me. The relevance of an ex-racer commenting on sports bikes that have insane amounts of power, and undetectable (to me anyway) differences in handling seems to belong to a biking world that I am not part of. I am not sure who actually reads this stuff, and discovers that this years R1/Gixer/Blade is 0.006 secs faster to 60 than its 3 main 'rivals'. I would cancel my subscription if I did not think I may miss something being announced, and had not been buying it on and off since 1967! ( headline "hailwood standing start TT lap at 107.7mph" - now that WAS news)

The emergence of the new tall-rounders has perhaps woken up the press generally to the existance of the TDM, just as it goes out of production. (as implied in the Ride article)

P

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#5 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:48 pm

QUOTE(pete7 @ Wed 16th Feb 2011, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First time I have bought Ride for a while, because of the article, and I agree Ivan , it was good stuff. Seems a decent magazine.

In contrast, MCN arrived today and much of the content, once again, was utterly beyond me. The relevance of an ex-racer commenting on sports bikes that have insane amounts of power, and undetectable (to me anyway) differences in handling seems to belong to a biking world that I am not part of. I am not sure who actually reads this stuff, and discovers that this years R1/Gixer/Blade is 0.006 secs faster to 60 than its 3 main 'rivals'. I would cancel my subscription if I did not think I may miss something being announced, and had not been buying it on and off since 1967! ( headline "hailwood standing start TT lap at 107.7mph" - now that WAS news)

The emergence of the new tall-rounders has perhaps woken up the press generally to the existance of the TDM, just as it goes out of production. (as implied in the Ride article)

P

Pete, I admire your patience, I gave up on MCN a long time ago. And although better late than never, why have Ride only just picked-up on the TDM as the 9er is now 9 years old? Still, one real positive is that we may now see some more new members on the forum good.gif

PS: Great to be reminded of Hailwood's genius, a true Brit to be proud of tup.gif
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#6 hvass

hvass

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:29 pm

Im with saga lout .. Gave up reading MCN a while ago... ride isnt that just the magazine arm of MCN.
Happened to be in the library.. well sainsbury.. so had a quick read of the article.
To me still negatives in the article including 'odd twin' and Lib Dem ...
I realise that I am a little out of touch with reality.. but dont see the tdm as being an odd anything...
When i was looking to buy a bike .. a keeper ... there really wasnt much choice most everything else looked 'odd' to me.
Many looked good but were odd in terms of what they offered.. I was not going to africa, didnt need the badge, already had a big d*ck (sorry whats it called these days... street presence), already had italian bikes and a sensible honda was just too expensive or thirsty...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tdm900a
mv v35 Imola
cb500x

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,103 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:36 pm

It's because the media hype up supersports bikes instead of something you can ride for 200 miles. What good is 150 hp if you can't use it without geting jailed and end up crippled from the racing crouch after 30 miles.

Added to that most supersports bikes can't carry anything.

Maybe Ride is waking up to the fact that some people want real world practical bikes they can do distance on with all their kit without having to have full on tourer.

This is why the TDM is a big seller in Euroland.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 mecrox

mecrox

really likes Carpe

• 99 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:29 pm

Ironically, there's an article a few pages later in the same issue on three "budget tourers" which they probably are if you happen to find ten grand in an old sock. The TDM 900 isn't one though it can do everything they can do and more. I spoke to a dealer a few days ago about getting a more recent example of my 9er. He said the ABS version is no longer sold in the UK. Didn't know that. Old news?

#9 futtfutt

futtfutt

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:25 am

QUOTE(mecrox @ Thu 17th Feb 2011, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ironically, there's an article a few pages later in the same issue on three "budget tourers" which they probably are if you happen to find ten grand in an old sock. The TDM 900 isn't one though it can do everything they can do and more. I spoke to a dealer a few days ago about getting a more recent example of my 9er. He said the ABS version is no longer sold in the UK. Didn't know that. Old news?

Our local Yamaha dealer says new 9er listed at £8399 but ABS not listed blink.gif
An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us.
One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies, and ego.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humilty, kindness, empathy and truth.
The boy thought a while then asked "Which Wolf wins?"

"The one you feed" replied the old man...

#10 HamishTDM

HamishTDM

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:06 pm

The only bit that annoys me is how can they be selling an April 2011 magazine, it's not even March yet, it's f***ing feburary

#11 erny

erny

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:50 pm

QUOTE(leehenty @ Wed 16th Feb 2011, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Ride is waking up to the fact that some people want real world practical bikes they can do distance on with all their kit without having to have full on tourer.

This is why the TDM is a big seller in Euroland.

Let's take a broader look.
I am a recent new rider (25,000 miles over 18 months) and The TDM was my first bike. It has turned into the wisest buy I have ever made.
Funnily enough it was Aprils edition of Ride that featured the TDM back in 2009 that sealed my deciision to go for one.
Bu the mags have laughed at the TDM for years.
Scoffing it to the point where the average rider would not feel comfortable going to view one, never mind take one for a test ride.
I feel that over the years, media has tried to give the TDM a "SKODA/LADA " label.
But as we know the tide is turning and manufacturers are supplying to that demand. Look at how Ducati are marketing their new bikes.
"It's a sports bike dressed as a cruiser"- The Diavel
It's a sportsbike dressed as a Trailie - the Multistrada
Soon, the "sportsbike performance" references will be dropped
And with hope and maybe a mass prayer or 2 ( let me speak to Father O'hennerty), sporksbikes will be kept to the track.

The media have to pay attention to changing trends. Otherwise they have limited appeal. What other bike could they push to make themselves look good?
The TDM will be hailed with classic status before long, Especially the Mk1, and rightly so to.
Carpe Diem

I need a sig. indeed with plenty of frickin polish

#12 drumwrecker

drumwrecker

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:16 pm

Haven't you all noticed how popular sensible bikes are getting. I mean the ones with higher than normal handle bars, and if I am not mistaken there are more unfaired bikes about. In other words economics are taking effect, plastics cost a lot of money to repair that small crack or scratch. The sit up and beg bikes have better vision so are safer and easier to ride, don't do your back in and are kept longer because of the comfort and usabilty. So at last common sense is taking over.
1953 BSA Bantam, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1948 Vincent Rapide, 1959 Matchless G11, AJS 250CSR, 1986 BMW K75s, Suzuki 1999 GS500E, 2002 Suzuki SV650, 1991 VFR750 FL, 2007 TDM900

#13 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:51 pm

it wasn't for sale at co-op sad.gif

They had Bike and practical sports bike but no Ride sad.gif

oh well its a gurl bike anyway, or so I hear tongue.gif tongue.gif

Lew wink.gif

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,794 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:10 pm

QUOTE(LewisBlackburn @ Thu 17th Feb 2011, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it wasn't for sale at co-op sad.gif

They had Bike and practical sports bike but no Ride sad.gif

oh well its a gurl bike anyway, or so I hear tongue.gif tongue.gif

Lew wink.gif

AH Lew i would retract that statement if i was you fella,,,,,,av you seen some of the girly 9 hundred riders rotflmmfao.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 ChrisH

ChrisH

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 137 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:18 pm

i had a discussion the other day with a main Yamaha dealership manager, he was of the opinion that the TDM was the most underrated bike over the last 10 years, always something of a cinderella bike it now offers great value for money and ticks all the boxes your average rider might want.

He loves them especially the 900 he can sell them for fun, quite a few riders like me retired my R1 to the track and want a real world bike.

#16 td or sv? That is the question.

td or sv? That is the question.

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:24 am

"Small screen is effective." - Er.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users