17 replies to this topic

#1 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:14 pm

I've just received this from Frederic in FFMC (MAGS equivilant in France)
- E10 FUEL

I mentioned that in France, a new kind of fuel is replacing the good ol’ unleaded 95 in the stations : SP95-E10. “10” like at least 10% ethanol in it. It would be no concern of ours, BUT this gas is harmful to older cars (pre-2000) and most motorbikes, and in some areas (including the Paris region and most motorways), there’s no alternative but the SP98, more expensive and which gets scarcer. It some places, safely filing up a motorbike's tank can be tricky. So…

1/ If you ride or drive in France, beware of what you put in your tank. It won’t destroy the engine with a few litres, but long term use is definitively a bad idea.

http://www.motorcycl...motorcycle.html
2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#2 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:45 pm

So what do our Franch friends put in their bikes Paddy? unsure.gif
Beware the whitevanman!

#3 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:26 pm

All the UK petrol companies are now blending ethanol in all fuels at around the 10% level this is extremely bad news as it is 'Hygroscopic' and if a vehicle is left for any length of time water will be contained in the tank. It's long term use on alloys that have been used in motorcycle and car fuel systems is unknown but thought to be corrosive in the extreme over a period of time, it is known to attack rubber type fuel lines and is recommended that these are changed/inspected on a regular basis.
Read about it HERE

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#4 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:23 pm

Did ten days last September in France and never had a problem finding regular petrol alongside the ethanol stuff. Maybe it has changed since then. A mate with a TDM in Switzerland told me that Yamaha tell you not to use it.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:58 pm

QUOTE(Nanook @ Sun 20th Feb 2011, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what do our Franch friends put in their bikes

wee wee monsieur?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 paddy900

paddy900

roondaboot

• 1,246 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:24 pm

rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif tres bien
2003 TDM900 in Yellow....Best Colour, Fender extender, Oxford Heated Grips, Givi luggage, Mirror extenders, GS1150 Handguards, Matching seat cover, Belly Pan, R&G crash bungs, Touring screen, Meta alarm, K&N Air Filter,
Centre Stand, Scottoiler,Carbon Cans......really loud, Stainless steel Rad Guard, 12v Accessory socket,

Join us on Facebook

#7 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:05 pm

FFS, won't they leave anything alone. What with the massive prices hikes, biking is starting to get bloody elitist mad.gif I'll be going down some time in the summer and suppose I'll have to shop around for bog standard sp95.

Surely this needs to be fought against. Bikers should be able to buy low octane fuel at low octane prices.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:18 pm

Some interesting info here on blended fuels. Scrolling down a tad you can see a list of metals/materials that the products do/donut loike! Also info on blended fuels and carb icing and blended fuels and tank sealants.

http://fbhvc.co.uk/bio-fuels/

The Slug used to run rough/stall alot whenst first started....since not filling up at Morrisons (7-8% Biodiesel) this is no schlonger a problem. Could be coincidence I guess.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:01 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 4th Mar 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Slug used to run rough/stall alot whenst first started....since not filling up at Morrisons (7-8% Biodiesel) this is no schlonger a problem. Could be coincidence I guess.

Remeber late 2009 when loadsa cars were left strande when the oxygen sensors in the exhaust packed up due to the fuel problem, which was never explained, but probably was due to to much ethanol (bio fuel) was added to the fuel at the refining stage.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#10 LDRider

LDRider

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:55 pm

A lot has been written about this on other forums (maybe here too). Apparently this product is the stuff to use, but I've never bothered. I do use the 'regular' version for winterizing my bikes and that seems to work well.

2010 BMW R1200GSA 30th Anniv
2006 BMW K1200S set up for touring
1992 TDM850 set up for touring

#11 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:37 am

So how is this a problem for 9er owners?

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:49 pm

On an almost related topic...

I've just switched my current account to Santander and discovered their "Zero" account lets you withdraw money for cashpoints anywhere in the world without charging a fee for the privilege of getting at your own money. You've got to have had an account with them for 3 months to be eligible but an account with someone they own can be good enough, my Alliance and Leicester mortgage was enough. I'm sure Moose or Cats have got a countdown timer running that can tell you if you've enough time to open a normal account and then switch to a Zero account before the MegaTreff.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:53 pm

Thanks Chris. N.wide have stopped doing this which is annoying...nearly as annoying as them moving 32miles away.

#14 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:13 pm

Yeah, I know a lot of people that used to have the Nationwide account, mostly just to transfer money in to while they're abroad. I've not seen anyone else doing it since they stopped.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:16 pm

I've had the Caxton pre-pay card recommended to me on another forum - they do a lot of european stuff & reckon it works fine.

http://www.caxtonfxc...description.asp

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#16 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:23 pm

We pay cash into our credit card account before we go abroad. There is no fee or interest as long as you don't go into debit. It might be different if you are a sterling account and taking out euro as there may be a currency exchange fee.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#17 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:32 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Sun 27th Mar 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had the Caxton pre-pay card recommended to me on another forum - they do a lot of european stuff & reckon it works fine.

http://www.caxtonfxc...description.asp

I've got a Caxton card, works just like a switch Debit card with no charges but as SS says you have to add money to it before you can use it, i.e. pre pay. However, if it gets low you can top it up online from your nominated account
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#18 DazzerB

DazzerB

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:48 pm

Just got a Post Office credit card for holidays and travelling - no charge for using it abroad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users