#1 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:58 am

So I've been using a budget bluetooth intercom for some time, details here

It's a very good system but the headsets left a bit to be desired, but cheap Chinese products are never the best. Music really wasn't an option as the sounds was rubbish, but intercom and phone use were fine.

With the TDM's 20th Anniversary meet coming up in June 2011 I wanted something a bit better and decided to upgrade to the Celularline Interphone F4 system at a whopping £300 for a twin set!

A few bikers from work have the older mono Interphone systems and they are all compatible and so any pair can communicate. The main problem with these bluetooth intercom systems is that the phone side of the devices is standard and any phone will work with any headset. But the same cannot be said for the long range bluetooth communications, only devices from the same manufacturer can 'talk' to each other. This is a pain in the arse really and it would be nice if they could all agree a 'standard' and stick to it, anyway enough moaning!

At the NEC bike show in 2010 I tried out the Sena SMH10, this can pair four headsets and communications can be established between any two headsets at a time. It's quite a complicated process and I don't know anyone else with this system so that functionality wasn't something I could take advantage of. Excellent sound quality though. Also the twin pack comes with two of everything, enough for two helmets. Charging is via a standard DC jack which I liked. But, I have four helmets (wife, eldest son, daughter and mine) so I'd need another two headsets.

The other main contender was the Interphone F4 from Celularline in Italy. The advantage with this system is that it's similarly high quality with excellent sound, can pair with friends older Interphone systems and the universal twin pack comes with two headsets per rider, one open face and one closed face, a total of four headsets! So this was the way forward and a set was ordered.
Interphone F4 Link

When the new kit arrived I put both headsets on charge for the rest of the day.

The first helmet I fitted this to was Ryans, this is an HJC FS MAX,

As you can see from the photo, the flip front mechanism is quite large and this interferes with the fitting of the Bluetooth unit.

So I fitted the bracket much further round to the rear of the helmet.

This works ok but it's bearing in mind when buying a flip front helmet.

So cheek pads out and work out where the ear pieces will fit, in the HJC helmet the cheek pads are retained by means of poppers and velcro, works really well,

It's quite easy to see where is the best place to fit the ear pieces,

So peel of the velcro sticky back and apply,

Both ear pieces can be affixed in place, there is an in-line connector for the right hand side ear piece, it's a little bit bulky to be honest so needs tucking away carefully. I guess this means you can replace a single ear piece in the event of failure, but I'd rather not have this in-line connector due to it's size.

So here we have the headset fully fitted, just need to re-fit the cheek pads,

Finished!

One down three more to go. The HJC is the easiest (apart from the clip having to be mounted towards the rear), the Arai is quite easy too as the cheek pads are removable for cleaning.

I used one of the full face kits for this helmet as there isn't much room for the boom mic.
Arai fitted,

The most difficult helmet to fit the intercom to is an older Shoei that the wife uses. The whole chin piece needs to be removed, the fabric cover needs to be carefully peeled away and a small slit needs to be cut for the mic to pass through. The thing is to take your time and when you start to get hacked off, go and have a cup of tea and calm down, then start again, worked for me anyway.
I used the other full face kit for this lid but passing the mic under the foam to come out at the front was a problem. I didn't want the mic to get wrecked so I put it in a small plastic bag to help ease it through the hole I had cut,

This worked well, I then eased the ear pieces though the strap holes and stuck them in to position.

Then it's a case of shoe-horning the chin piece back in to the helmet. Great care needs to be taken so as not to damage the polystyrene, a bit of patience and it's back in the helmet.
By this point I'd used both of the bracket mount clips that come with the kit, the good thing is that two stick on clips come with the kit.
Here's the three helmets finished,

This leaves one helmet to do but that's enough for now!

So what's it like? Simply awesome! The first test I did was a music test. I always ride with earplugs these days, the TDM is so damn loud, open Fuel exhausts and turbulence from the screen mean a very noisy ride. So earplugs in, noisy bike and I can hear the music no problem, nice and loud when not even on full volume. I did a quick test at home without earplugs and I simply couldn't stand the extreme volume these headset are capable of!

Next test was Sat Nav. I'm using a Motorola Defy with the Android operating system. Great phone and the Google Navigation is free and excellent. Text to voice isn't as nice as a real voice but pretty good nonetheless. I could hear directions clearly even up to 110mph on my private test track. Really very impressed.

Phone calls, my old Orange M700 used voice tags for voice dialling. You record a tag for every number you want to use. On the Defy you have to say, 'Call Mr Joe Bloggs, mobile 1' and confirm. It really doesn't work as well as a simple tag, such as 'Home', like my old phone used. Something I'll have to play with I guess.

Intercom. Yes this does pair with the older Interphone systems BUT...... I have found that I can pair with my mates older interphone and chat away, good. But when I then connect to my son who's using the other F4, this works fine, but the pairing with the older interphone is lost, meaning they have to be 'paired' again before communication will work again. A bit of a faff about.
As I mentioned earlier we're going on a bike trip to Germany this year, my son pillion with me and my mate Dave on his VFR, so three way comms would be nice. I haven't tried 3 or more F4 systems together so can't comment on whether or not more than one pairing can remain active, I doubt it though.
But all is not lost, my son says he'd rather listen to music on the back and comms between riders is probably better to avoid getting split up / lost. How did I ever manage without technology lol!

All is not lost, Celularline are releasing the TriBE system in April 2011. This is a PMR system which allows any bluetooth headset to connect with the TriBE decive. The TriBE devices then act like PMR radios with a much greater range and unlimited users. So I'm looking forward to try out those.

Conclusion.
If you want intercom and phone use only, the cheap chinese sets are perfectly fine. About £100 on eBay for a dual set.
If you want to be able to listen to music you really need a much better set such as the Interphone F4 or the Sena SMH10.
Multi-way communications.
The Sena allows 4 riders to communicate, but only 2 at a time. And switching between riders involves multiple pressing turning of the control knob, bound to be frustrating.
Interphone TriBE, sounds very promising, lets hope it delivers!

Minuses?
Why on earth doesn't the kit come with an on bike charger, the Sena system does!
Multiple pairing of intercom units would be nice, but how do you manage them?

Am I glad I spent £300 on the Interphone F4?
The fact it comes with four headsets was the winner for me, at about £30 each this presented quite a saving over the Sena SMH10 system. The Interphone F4 system can pair with older Interphone systems. The sound quality is superb and very very loud! So overall, yes it was a winner.

Edited by maximuspetrolhead, 31 March 2011 - 07:25 pm.

#2 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:26 am

great write up. any idea how long the batteries last between charges on the interphone?
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:30 am

good.gif Great Review Max ! Well done, I enjoyed reading that.

BTW, it's the TDM's 20th Birfdi ! but you knew that really didn't ya ! smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:50 pm

Oops, so it is, my bad..... edit!

As far as battery life is concerned, VFRDaves older interphone lasts really well, some other reviews suggest all day with comms on isn't a problem. I figure an under seat charger is in order for overnight charging when camping. I may knock up a wee timer circuit to allow a charge of say 3 hours then knock the power off to ensure I can't drain my battery.

The cheaper Chinese intercom I had lasted really well, as in it lasted for the Shetland trip I did (see write up in my sig) with a charge before the two long runs, using it constantly for GPS and phone calls. I must say on a long trip I really valued having the headset (didn't use the intercom on theShetland trip as I was on my own). Being able to make a few phone call really helped break the trip up a bit.

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:58 pm

I've often found car chargers for phones don't work well when the engines off, presumably they tuned for the 14V or so you get with the engine running rather than 12v with the engine off, so give it a long enough test before making up timer circuits.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:03 pm

One thing I forgot to mention, well two actually!

Auto Volume, this is great as you go faster the volume gets louder, great. The old system I had needed to be flat out to be heard at speed, so round town it was too loud. You can of course turn the volume up and down but auto means you don't have to fiddle about. The down side is that the Interphone auto volume isn't very linear, it makes big steps in volUME as YOU riDE if you know what I mean. But I'd rather have it as is then do without.

Noise Cancellation. This works really well, on a rather quick phone call the missus said she could hear me no problem, whereas the old system I had to slow down a bit to be heard properly. Again it's not a big change but does make a lot of difference.

I've found the DC-DC converters (fag lighter jobs) are rather expensive for the Interphone, at about £20, and only single connector, the mains charger has a double connector to charge two at once!So I'll maybe order a mains charger, chop the lead off, make up a 12 to 5 v DC-DC converter with a variable timer circuit, just a pot and a 555 timer should do the job. Or maybe a PIC... hmm.....
Alternatively I might just buy one of those el-cheapo Chinese inverters off eBay for about a tenner, and plug in the mains charger......

Edited by maximuspetrolhead, 05 March 2011 - 04:04 pm.

#7 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:10 pm

Good topic

Good to hear how they perform

#8 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:58 am

I bought one of the cheap Chinese BT intercoms from eBay and was quite impressed with the performance, only cost me a tad over A$100 (IIRC), does what we needed of it.

One thing I did note that was a minus, and is likely to be the same with any such units regardless of brand and price...

When fitting the BT unit to the helmet as directed, ie on the side of the helmet (like the two full-face helmets below), it creates an awful racket because it upsets the airflow. The wind noise it caused on my Arai, similar to the one in the picture and reputably a quiet helmet, was k'n shocking! However, if fitted behind the helmet (like the black flip-lid below) in the drag airflow area it doesn't adversely effect anything.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#9 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:00 pm

http://www.interphon...e_tribe_it.html

Tribe must be out soon?

#10 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:12 pm

Tribe is out but...... it doesn't operate as a normal radio when off the bike. I thought it would be nice to be able to use the radios to keep in touch with the radios when abroad so as to not rack up a mobile bill. So in the end I bought a midland G8 BT which does the same job as a tribe, is the same price and can be used as a normal radio when away from the bike and your bluetooth headset.

Midland G8 BT

This radio is excellent, but the battery life is only about 10 hours so you'll need a charging lead on your bike for tours!

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:57 pm

Hi Max,,, well it's been a year now since your initial review,,, how are you finding the F4 these days, still as impressive as when it was new,,, any issues at all !!!!
Have passed the Autocom i bought on to the nephew as he rides with his girlfriend a lot now,,,,so the F4 is a potential buy for me,,,, F5 too expensive and looks like he only difference is the conference calling feature which i dont really need or want,,,,would have the cheaper set you reviewed as well but think i like the option of hearing music on the go..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#12 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:00 pm

Yup still loving it!

I'm tempted with the F5 as it has the conference call facility plus it speaks back to you.

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:19 pm

Haha why does it need to speak back to you !!!! F4 single just this last minute gone for £119,,, still in the packaging.

Okay so worth buying,,, cheers.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 twinrider

twinrider

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:31 am

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Sat 5th Mar 2011, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the NEC bike show in 2010 I tried out the Sena SMH10, this can pair four headsets and communications can be established between any two headsets at a time. It's quite a complicated process and I don't know anyone else with this system so that functionality wasn't something I could take advantage of.

The fact it comes with four headsets was the winner for me, at about £30 each this presented quite a saving over the Sena SMH10 system. The Interphone F4 system can pair with older Interphone systems. The sound quality is superb and very very loud! So overall, yes it was a winner.

Just an FYI for anyone shopping for a BT intercom system. A vendor on advrider is blowing out Sena Dual Packs for $260 a set. Read the first post for directions as he cannot openly advertise the price. Got my set from him and am extremely happy with them. http://www.advrider....;highlight=sena

Regarding functionality, Sena is committed to firmware upgrades, releasing new ones every few months and they can be downloaded directly into the unit via a USB connection. Version 3.3 released in December allows for conference intercom conversations among three users. Version 4.0, due this month, will upgrade that intercom conference function to allow four users and upgrades the Bluetooth from version 2.1 to 3.0.
http://www.webbikewo...re-update-4.htm

Their customer service is also excellent. Lost a mic sponge the other day and they express mailed 2 replacements to me free of charge.

Edited by twinrider, 12 March 2012 - 08:32 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users