18 replies to this topic

#1 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:11 pm

Found a little hole in the collector box but its making a hell of a racket.

now, given the cost of after market systems and me being a tight arse, would it be sensible to get a second hand collector box ? or get some tube and weld up pipes to go from the headers to end cans?
I've had a look on eBay and there are no second hand collector boxes available for less than £150 !!!! which means Unless someone on here has one for a hansom price I'll be going down the route of pipe.

I know that straight through has been discussed before and it shouldn't make much of a difference to fuelling/performance...
But....
I do worry about the small bore pipes that feed the end cans, can I clamp to them with a reducer pipe from the downpipes or something??

Thoughts anyone ?? Very much appreciated as the bike is quite loud now !

Edited by LewisBlackburn, 11 January 2012 - 06:12 pm.

#2 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:16 pm

Also, Would a Gun Gum repair bandage be advisable for the short term?

Anyone used them before? do they work?

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:17 pm

QUOTE(LewisBlackburn @ Wed 11th Jan 2012, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found a little hole in the collector box but its making a hell of a racket.

That would be cous of the MAssssssssseeeeve hole next to the little hole.

Some peeps have got doonpoipes and then linky dinked them to the silencers. Chopping ooot the Starshp Enterprise body.

Kedo sell Devil doon poipes that fit lubbly the the enjun end. They were £120 many years ago (prolly more now) but fit great. There are various others mentioned on ear too.

Start spraying yer flanges..........now.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:18 pm

Just get the Enterprise system whipped off & get some plate welded over the bottom & back of the collector box ( should still be plenty of meat left around the edges to weld to )
Then spray with black exhaust paint & she'll be good for another 3-4 years minimum Lewis good.gif

Did mine back in 2005 & she's still OK apart from a couple of pinholes I sealed with epoxy putty ( although I do run with me Remus system through winter)

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:22 pm

Great way to get yer tyre warmed up smile.gif

I don't think a repair bandage will be enough to plug the hole Lew. I'd get a plate welded over it fer a quick-ish fix.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:56 pm

The only problem with welding it is that its been patched up almost all over it, cant really see it the above pics. but the whole of the bottom has had plate welded on, not to mention parts around the sides too.

I'll give it a try this weekend if possible, Have to leave it with me dad to do, See what he rekons.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:05 pm

Looks thin as an eggshell Lew,, ya misses might have to stop buying shoes fella and lend you some wonga biggrin.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:30 pm

I've got a spare Enterprise that has a good (excellent in fact) collector box & cans, but wants a bit of welding doing on the spigot where it joins the headers

You can have it for what I paid for it (£30) Lewis - I could even bring it to Oldham for you, as I have some work going on at the Tesco - but not for a week or so

Lettuce Snow

Mick

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#9 TaffyTDM

TaffyTDM

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:54 pm

Just get the box cut off and a y shape bit of pipe made, pro speed in Cardiff did mine and it's brilliant, think it cost me 80 quid about 2 years ago.

#10 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:30 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Wed 11th Jan 2012, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a spare Enterprise that has a good (excellent in fact) collector box & cans, but wants a bit of welding doing on the spigot where it joins the headers

You can have it for what I paid for it (£30) Lewis - I could even bring it to Oldham for you, as I have some work going on at the Tesco - but not for a week or so
Lettuce Snow
Mick

That sounds Excellent !

I'll PM you now wink.gif

#11 mrjohnboy81

mrjohnboy81

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:32 pm

QUOTE(LewisBlackburn @ Wed 11th Jan 2012, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Would a Gun Gum repair bandage be advisable for the short term?

Anyone used them before? do they work?

Hi Tam ive used the gun gum thingy mi giggy things before ok for a quick fix . But it was on a car exhaust think it lasted about a week but would defo try the cheapest quick fix for now ,some might turn up ive tryed welding exhausts in the past but there like paper and burn more holes

#12 Andersen

Andersen

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 58 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:20 am

QUOTE(TaffyTDM @ Wed 11th Jan 2012, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just get the box cut off and a y shape bit of pipe made, pro speed in Cardiff did mine and it's brilliant, think it cost me 80 quid about 2 years ago.

@Taffy: How's the sound? You've got a sound- or videofile?

@Lewis: I'd say the collector is doomed with all those cracks - you can't stop them by welding, they'll have to be but cut away or they'll keep running due to vibrations.

#13 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:03 am

When my 'enterprise' failed I went to a breakers and got a Delkevic from the good side of a crashed 1100, mocked up a connector pipe and had a muffler shop bend me a solid pipe. Exhaust replaced, total cost $82 USD

And for the eagle-eyed... yes I replaced that auto muffler clamp with a proper motorcycle clamp.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#14 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:31 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Fri 13th Jan 2012, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When my 'enterprise' failed I went to a breakers and got a Delkevic from the good side of a crashed 1100, mocked up a connector pipe and had a muffler shop bend me a solid pipe. Exhaust replaced, total cost $82 USD

And for the eagle-eyed... yes I replaced that auto muffler clamp with a proper motorcycle clamp.

Nice work there. How do you find the power delivery with the 2 into 1 system?

#15 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:07 am

It is an option Thomas, but I do prefer twin exhausts biggrin.gif

Got some steel plate so I'll be getting it welded this weekend, and my dad was a sheet metal fabricator for over 20 years so if its dooable he'll be able to do it. He has expressed concer towards the fact there isnt much to weld too but we'll see how it goes.

Then I'm gonna get the new enterprise from Sidestand, tart it up a little with some paint, polish and a few repairs and swap them over,

Job shoul be a goodun then biggrin.gif

#16 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:45 pm

Got it welded up today, its as quiet as a whisper now biggrin.gif

Had abit of a disaster taking it off though as one of the link pipes from the box to the end can had pretty much disintegrated ! This meant when i tried to move the whole lot by holding the end can i ended up with an exhaust pointing in the wrong direction !!!

Luckily me dad welded it up, ill post some pictures later on biggrin.gif

#17 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:56 pm

QUOTE(maximuspetrolhead @ Fri 13th Jan 2012, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice work there. How do you find the power delivery with the 2 into 1 system?

Don't really notice much difference. blink.gif
Other than the fact that the TDM actually sounds like a motorcycle now.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#18 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:14 pm

Oh ! forgot to mention,

I actually have stainless downpipes biggrin.gif

its just they have been painted and cover in that much shite you can tell, Only realised when looking at the collars of the pipes where it was still clean.

So, when I get the Enterprise B from Sidestand I'll be cleaning me downpipes up biggrin.gif

#19 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:22 pm

Got the Enterprise B from Sidestand now, Via Z900guy, (Chris) Nice to meet you by the way, and I'm very jealous of your collection biggrin.gif

Not sure when I'll be getting the new exhaust on but at least I've got one now.

Cheers all for the help biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users