#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,120 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:24 pm

I have no idea what one is either but am going to do it non the less. It looks and smells loike a 3VD so suspect it is either a Jap or Merkin spec version of a 3VD. If anyone knows please do tell.

The porpoise of the build is to build from scratch a long lasting and practical enjun for no other reason than its challenging and enjoyable. Reliability is going to be important and mayhaps a wee tweak here and there but noubt close to the exciting stuff in MadAds build.

Bought this from Exeter (via ebay) a few years ago from a TRX owner who had supposed that all TDM engines were the same and wanted parts for his TRX. This may well mean that there are some generic bits missing loike side covers and a water pump (cous I gave it away:)) but the garden ornament department should have enough bits to sustain the build.

Today is the project start date as it was lugged from outdoors into a workspace. Anyone who has had the painful experience of watching me do stuff on a boike will know that I work at a snails pace so this is not going to be loike watching a 3 man team building a Bettle Enjun.

Another added challenge is that this enjun is incomplete and already dismantled, badly dismantled at that. Nothing is labelled or containerised its just a box of components and the components are also stripped so things like the oil pumps are dismantled and the screws/internals scattered amongst all of the other bits! rolleyes.gif

Sadly there will be no pics as the upload facility/gallery remains broken.

So on to stuff done so far:

13FEB12: Lugged box into the office. Uncovered. Took some pics and unburied the crankshaft burrings (uninstalled and loose in the box rolleyes.gif). This leaves an exciting dilemma as without knowing where they came from the irritation of tryin to decipher Yamahas stupid colour coding sytem is irrelevent as no way of telling where the shells came from. I have spoken to Yamaha before about the ACTUAL SIZES of shells without any of this colour nonsense and cant remember if I got a straight answer.

Next step: I need to dig out the c.case halves and try to identify all the case bolts ...they should all be numbered which will help greatly. Take the numbers from the conrods and engraved on crankcase to calc the stupid Yamaha colour codes as they are not visible on the shells (as usual).
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:33 pm

This could be a bit like Eastenders, as in tuning in every day to see whats happened, (only that Eastenders is boring depressing shite that only brain dead watch)

Good luck with this project Master

#3 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:11 pm

munching_out.gif

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:22 pm

Wehooooo ! badgrock.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:26 am

Awe but I like pictures?

Photobucket?

I'm interested to see how it goes as I've got half an engine sat on the garage floor......

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:36 am

I'm not so sure about all the crankcase bolts being numbered, I thought it was the bolt holes that are numbered unsure.gif
I deffo remember having to tag each bolt so I knew where it went.
Anyhoos, if that is the case, then I may be able to decipher the parts file and find the length/diameter of each bolt for ya.

Pity about the gallery (still) not working sad.gif Must be 2-3 years now.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:25 am

Ughh I thought it was going to be a pain...and then thought no wait they are numbered, looking back at old build pics....as you say it is the cases not the bolts. Oh burger.

I don't like bucketsofphotos because alot of the threads over the years end up with the red cross.....or pictures of someones cat! Don't have a cat so this is not such a big worry but would like to keep the focus on the gallery being fixed rather than ignoring the problems in the hopes they will at some point magically fix themselves. It must be at least that amount of time since the upload had been bust. I will however be taking pictures of as much as possible in the hope that some day they can be uploaded.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:07 am

Oil have a go at finding the casing bolt sizes, fingers crossed rolleyes.gif Is it deffo a mk1 engwin then Dappers ?

I have a problem using Flickr for my photos as I'm only allowed 200 images and I'm almost up to my limit, so my blog is gonna be picture deficient sad.gif

They can take our pictures from us, but they'll never take our cake ! putemup.gif

#9 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,396 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:29 pm

Slower than the host server???? laugh.gif

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:41 pm

14FEB2012: Hoiked everything out of the box. What a complete mess. There is way less there than I thought and things like the alt still on the end of the crank but now alot more hassle to remove with the crank unsupported. After checking the shell sizes unburied yesterday I found that there were also shells (again used) also installed in the crank halves. blink.gif and also what looks like a bag of new shells (yet to check number and colours). Took alot of pics, located the relevent nuimbers for shell size calculations.

I now have all the *available* info for the process of big end and main burring size calculations. This is covered in the Heinz Manuel but with some inaccuracies.

Stamped at the end of the crankshaft on the web is the first clue. There should be 5 numbers, first two relate to big end bearing and last three to main burrings and values start from left side. My numbers are "11 232", so Left BigEnd=1, Right BigEnd=1, Left Main=2, Mid Main=3, Right Main=2.

Next clues are much more cryptic. For the Bigend shells Heinz suggests there is a manly stamp across the cap/rod joint. I have yet to actually see this on any TDM engine. The reality is some crappy illegible ink down the side of the cap/rod join. A trick from last time came back to me and taking a photo and then viewing on PC actually makes this weird inky thing much easier to see. This worked for one of the wods but the other was completely illegible. This is not such a big issue at the moment but to show how big end shell size is then calculated from this info, you subtract the crankshaft web number from the cap number. In the case of the legible cap, the number was 4. So the standard bigend shell size is 4 - 1 = ermm err 3. Sneaky edit: Since new wods are going to be fitted and the new wods have visible markings of 4 and 4, that gives me big end burring sizes of 4-1=3 and 4-1=3, So BEL=Browny BER=Browny.

Big End Colour Codes: 1=Blue, 2=Black, 3=Brown, 4=Green. So we have a number 3 = Browny.

Now onto the main burrings: Scratched (not stamped) on the upper c.case is a series of numbers. Either last or first or not at all (I have seen all of these!) are a series of numbers relating to the main burrings. You want the series of three numbers in a row for main bearing size calcs. Luckily these cases have them, 6 6 6. So to calculate my standard main burring sizes the same subtraction process is required. So Bearing size Left Main=6-2=4, Mid Main=6-3=3 and Right Main=6-2=4.

Main Burring Colour Codes: 1=Blue, 2=Black, 3=Brown, 4=Green, 5=Yella, 6=Pink, 7=Red. So we have LM=Green, MM=Broon, RM=Green.

I inspected the crank journals and they look excellent particularly considering the multiple shell situation! One of the shell halves from the bottom of the box looks to have had something get atwix it and the crank but the shell has done its job and the crud has either been pushed into the shell of found its way out as all other shell halves are clean.

Studders, thanks for the offer on bolt sizes, will be takin all the help oi can git as its a bit loike a dead TDM crime scene ear. The number I was thunkin of is the grade stamped on the crank bolts all of them have an "8" stamped on the heed I think. Have started collecting the ones I recognise but think I threw away my old cardboard template in the last tidy up. I'd say its defo a 3VD lookin at me crankeroony though the first thing I took out of the box was a TRX cam which concerned me slightly. laugh.gif

Next step: Find and arrange the ccase bolts with the aid of Ramrod....as we know...if anyone can.. Then check sizes and quantity of new? bearing shells. Also noticed that there is a code stamped on the shells so am going to investigate if this code can be matched to stupid colour system.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:30 pm

TDM crime scene laugh.gif

I found out what the 4DT means banana.gif

It's the model code for the 1992 TDM850 in America. As you can see from the piccy of the service info in the 1992 parts file. You can tell it's American 'cos the oil is measured in quarts and the gallons are small smile.gif

I'll email you the bolt info when I've worked 'em out.

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:54 pm

Egg shell ent ta SR, good detective work. That would explain why Thomas with his 1991 has no idea aboot the 4DT thang. It also ties in with one of the other 'scratchings' on the ccases. "92". It also makes me suspect my current mkI enjun was actually made, or the cases at least in "89"!!

#13 TheThigh

TheThigh

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:52 pm

My guess is it was 'Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Lead Pipe'. rolleyes.gif
Currently - 2008 Red 900 ABS - 19k - 12v Socket - K & N Air Filter - Power Commander III - Mirror Extenders - Hepco & Becker Junior Panniers and Top Box - Fuel Exhausts - Pilot Road 2 Tyres.

To Do List - HID Bi-Xenon Projectors - MRA Vario Screen.

Posted Image

#14 skippy

skippy

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:42 pm

hi dont know if its any help but on fleabay theirs a set of stainless engine bolts for a mk 1 with a handy diagram showing where all the bolts go i think its priced at 15 squid hope it helps regards skippy

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:59 pm

High seas it skip item 370466098904. That might well help with all the side cases when I get there as there are probably alot of em missing so thanks for that. The bolts SR and me'sen were on about attach the 2 crank case halves together and are graded rather than stainless and grt massive long strong burgers.

#16 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:55 pm

Shame there's no pics - I'll be following this with interest.

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 14th Feb 2012, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You want the series of three numbers in a row for main bearing size calcs. Luckily these cases have them, 6 6 6.

At least we have a name for it now - 6 6 6 is the number of The Beast badgrock.gif

Stu

#17 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:24 pm

With no pictures is more the Archers than Eastenders biggrin.gif

Interesting so far biggrin.gif and I'm sure the journey will be a fun one

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:33 am

at least d'archers is more loike real loife as opposed to shoite 'enders.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:05 pm

I've done the casing bolt guessifications for the mk1, all twenty***kinsevenovem. rolleyes.gif

Simply print off the piccy to an A4, stick it onto some card and use as a template, or, alternatively, ignite one end and use for lighting a fire if it's not correct tongue.gif I'll forward a copy via email.

I can't guarantee them all being correct as the parts file doesn't show all of the bolts, so I've made an educated guess, based on a coin ! laugh.gif
I've put the piccy up in case anyone else needs the info, I will need to remove it in the near future though.

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:04 pm

Magic ta for ya efforts SR hidden.gif, has inspired me to drag me'sen oot for a bolt scavenge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users