12 replies to this topic

#1 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:19 am

My current little project, both this belly pan from a very sad looking trashed 900 for a bargain £25 delivered from Fleebay. Not my colour, so decided to have a go at prepairing and spraying.
Spent a decent amount of time on the prep and on the last stages now of applying the clear coats, building them up like I did the hard colour, will sand down with 2500 wet & dry then polish and wax.

Not sure what make it is, was looking at a Powerbronze at £80 delivered but fancied a go at this, nice weekend project and all in for less than £40, when fitted will post pictures..

Great use of an old fan, perfect to use in this lovely warm weather as a jig mount ;-)

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#2 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:32 am

Good one! Time well spent.

Edited by Pict, 27 August 2013 - 07:34 am.

#3 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:42 am

That looks like Yamaha OEM to me - I have the same. I'd get a Fenda extenda on your front mudguard if I was you, even with one on mine the paint has been worn off at the bottom from the road spray/grit

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#4 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:52 am

Hallrob1, already got a gloss black one fitted mate, that's one of the reasons of trying the gloss black on the pan..

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#5 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:11 am

Its a yamaha parts, I put helicopter tape on the fromt bit on mine to protect the paint, as it does take a battering due to where it is.

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#6 hallrob1

hallrob1

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,098 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:33 pm

Helicopter Tape?

1999 Gilera Runner 125SP, 2002 Piaggio X9 250, 2004 Bandit 600, 2005 TDM 900, 2007 Honda CB1300S, 2008 Tiger 1050, 1996 Triumph Sprint 900, 2006 Tiger 955i, 2018 Triumph Tiger Sport,  2023 Triumph Tiger 900, XJR1300, 2011 (2009) TDM 900, 

Farkles - Laser Duo Techs, MTC Stainless Exhausts, Laser Duo Techs, Power Commander and custom map, Tenere 1200 Handguards, Yamaha Heated Grips, MRA Vario screen, SW Motech Alurack,  Givi and Hepco and Becker top boxes, Givi Engine bars, Garmin Zumo XT

#7 Wildbill

Wildbill

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:48 pm

Helicopter Tape?

Here is a little on it;

http://singletrackwo...-tape-on-frames

and here was me thinking it was what they used to stick them back together with after the inevitable.

Don't come preaching to me;you'll get chased down the road wiff a pitchfork.

#8 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:39 pm

Its a yamaha parts, I put helicopter tape on the fromt bit on mine to protect the paint, as it does take a battering due to where it is.

Great idea, have not got a clue what this tape was but found on line and ordered some.... Thanks for the idea Timoc ;-)

#9 timoc

timoc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:43 pm

Called Bike frame tape here, http://www.tape2go.c...e-Frame-Tape/69

Shop around, prices can vary, but its good to put anywhere to protect from scuff's etc. Use it on my mountain bike. Tape2go is one of the cheapest around.

No more a TDM owner :sorry: moved on to the Tracer :)

#10 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:22 pm

Helicopter tape has come for the belly pan, going to have a go fitting it on the bike tomorrow with all the gear I've got from DazzerB today. Will post up some pictures of the completed bike when finished.

Ya can't beat a day of tinkering in the garage with the radio on and a coffee....... Bliss!

#11 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:18 pm

Helicopter tape has come for the belly pan, going to have a go fitting it on the bike tomorrow with all the gear I've got from DazzerB today. Will post up some pictures of the completed bike when finished.

Ya can't beat a day of tinkering in the garage with the radio on and a coffee....... Bliss!

Any advice on fitting the tape Latestarter? I've now discovered "Helicopter tape" and I think I should cover the £300 custom paint job on my belly pan in it...loads of it!!! :(

#12 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:42 am

Any advice on fitting the tape Latestarter? I've now discovered "Helicopter tape" and I think I should cover the £300 custom paint job on my belly pan in it...loads of it!!! :(

I think you will find it hard to cover the whole of the pan in tape, its quite ridged and obviously tough stuff ProudViking. Get the area totally degreased, I used some white sprits, cut the tape to the size/shape you want it. Then heat it up with a hair dryer which will made it more malleable to fit to the pan.

Hope this help fella, just take your time and you'll be fine.

#13 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:06 am

I think you will find it hard to cover the whole of the pan in tape, its quite ridged and obviously tough stuff ProudViking. Get the area totally degreased, I used some white sprits, cut the tape to the size/shape you want it. Then heat it up with a hair dryer which will made it more malleable to fit to the pan.

Hope this help fella, just take your time and you'll be fine.

Thanks Latestarter, I shall tinker with it sometime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users