#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:12 pm

The yamaha hook type tool with a 1/2" sq drv hole, I currently have is ok, but only uses one hook of the alloy nut. It got me thinking if a full socket type tool could be made using all six slots there is less risk of slipping and damaging the nut.

An email to Kev at turbosuzukis led to me finding out that the same nut is used on an R6. His CNC machine got on with the job.

This is the result ,a top class proper tool to add to my growing collection.

IMG_4054_zps7c65c358.jpg

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:00 am

Hi leehenty!

Lee, excuse my ignorance, but where will you use this tool in 9niner?
Head bearing nut. I do not get the translation right.
Please can you describe any other way? Where is this bearing? :sorry:

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#3 palexxxx

palexxxx

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:51 am

Is this the bearing in the steering head?

#4 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:27 am

Yes guys. It's for the adjustment of the steering head bearings

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,081 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:45 pm

Sidarta, here you go. I've been captured on youtoob. I'm the one with the tools.

Edited by leehenty, 27 March 2014 - 12:46 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 Luke

Luke

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:47 pm

Now I do like that!
Fuel Cans, PCIII USB, Oxford Heated Grips, K&N Air Filter, Air Box Mod, Michelin Pilot Road 3, MRA Vario Screen, Scotoiler HRC, Givi Wingrack, Givi E52 Maxia Top Box, Givi E41 Panniers, Hagon Progressive Forks, Centre Stand, Bagster Tank Cover + Bags

#7 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:55 pm

Hi to all!

Guys  matt101 and pelexx, now there  light. Thanks for the clarification.

Lee, thanks for the video, it was great; in loco.

This collection of special tools must already be coveted.
Soon you will have to make them safe. ;) 

I like your work and appreciate how you treat the tools! :good: 

Are claiming that Amazon forest will become a world heritage site.
Your collection as well they should be heritage site Carpe's. :hide:

Friends benefit from them. :P  
In hindsight, has become! :drinks:

Cheers!

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#8 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:18 pm

Was going to ask if that was to replace the C spanner & torque wrench then the video confirmed it...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,081 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:21 pm

yes, it will make the job much less fiddly, quicker and safer, a straight pop it on a 1/2 sq drv torque wrench and do it up with no worry of slippage or damaging the nut.

Wish I'd spoken to Kev before getting the C spanner type tool. :bag:   :istupid:

I'm a bit of a gear freak, so I view decent tooling as an 'investment', that's what I tell swmbo anyway.  :hide:

Edited by leehenty, 27 March 2014 - 05:22 pm.

#10 jonnyaztec

jonnyaztec

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:07 am

NICE!

I am curious though, from an engineering point of view, will the specified torque setting (for original tool) be applicable using your improved tool?

I'm inclined to think that the original tool you're measuring the torque off centre and so have a degree of offset leverage. Would this be supported by the fact that instructions for the original tool specify the correct angle for the wrench, suggesting that the given torque is relevant only for that tool and the force applied at a specific angle? Dunno.

Nice tool though. However, I'd love to know the answer. If you torque up the nut using original tool, is the nut then in the same position as it would be if you applied the same torque using your new tool?

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:38 am

Here is an online calculator. The offset centre is 60mm on the hook tool I have. The final torque should be 15Nm on the nut. 

Yamaha specify the tool is used at 90 degrees to the torque wrench body.

My torque wrench is 310mm long from head centre to handle.

http://www.cncexpo.c...queAdapter.aspx

Calculating this reports no difference. set wrench to 15Nm.

Edited by leehenty, 28 March 2014 - 10:52 am.

#12 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:59 am

Love the tinternet - it has all the answers...

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:28 pm

Saved me a lot of head scratching and tedious calculation  :)  Got lots of these pages stored away for things like that, saves you a lot of time, input the numbers get out what you want to know.

#14 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:30 pm

Or just ask a nice man called Lee!  :tup: 

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:48 pm

Matt, I've tried pressing your avatar button no sound comes out.

#16 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:46 pm

It does here! 

Ask the wife fart_bounce-2216.gif

#17 jonnyaztec

jonnyaztec

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:09 am

So, not only a thing of beauty, but scientifically proved. Do you think I could make one with a 9" grinder and my big file?

#18 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,081 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:33 am

you could make one from a big socket but it needs to be deep enough to go over the stem yo reach the nut.

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,742 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:06 pm

Lee how long does the job take once the wheel and forks are off !!! including cake break.. an hour ya reckon..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#20 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,081 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:20 pm

about an hour to replace the ball bearing cups with the superior taper roller bearings. If yours are getting notchy, I have all the kit, I'll be happy to give you a hand Cliff.

The problem is getting the original ball bearing cup off the stem, I made a tool for that, but they can be stubborn.

To get the cups out of the head use Sealey MS040 expanding bearing removal tool and an alloy drift.

Did ChrisR's head bearings no bother the other sunday.

You need a decent press tool to get the tracks into the alloy head tube nice and square.

Don't mix taper roller bearing races and tracks, they are matched in production and are not interchangeable even with the same bearing number.

Keep them as a pair from the box.

The TDM is fairly unique in having the same bearing size top and bottom of the steering. Most bikes have a smaller size bearing at the top.

All the data is in here in my dropbox stash:

https://www.dropbox.... April 2011.pdf

Edited by leehenty, 29 March 2014 - 08:24 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users