#1 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:55 pm

PLease follow this link for JBX's site http://jbx9.free.fr/...ex.php?page=HGS my pictures have vanished over time

Can this possibly be posted to the Knowledgebase ? Please mr mod's

Right then, first you need to buy the Suzuki DL650 VStrom Handguard kit (usually 22 UKP from a dealer)

Next step below is to get your bar end weights off and machined to these dimentions

On the throttle side remove the existing lever pivot bolt and replace with this one from the kit

then insert it like this (this is a threaded straight swap for the origonal one)

Offer up the handguard securing it with the supplied Screw and Washer at the top

Then fit a supplied locknut and washer on the bottom like this

And clip the other end into the machined groove like this (may need to alter the hydraulic resovoir along the bar slightly to line up) that's the throttle side finished good.gif

right now onto the clutch side, remove the origonal pivot pin then get a 6mm drill and remove the thread from the bottom of the lever pivot hole (this is needed as the suzuki supplied bolt is a set thread )

ok i have an update to this

instead of drilling out the clutch side thread, get hold of a 6mm die or die nut and thread the bolt until the first shoulder. then it will fit in correctly and you haven't had to drill the thread.

then insert this lever pin from the kit

Clip the handguard over the top of the stud

And Secure using the dome nut and a washer

there is a spacer that you need to fit on the underside (I also used a washer top and bottom of the plastic handguard) and secure with another locknut (supplied)

Clip the other end into the Bar weight

Optionally you can fill up the groove with sillicon (like i did)

Thats it your all done and here are some pictures of the finished job good.gif

Jobs a Carrot banana.gif Cheap and easy alternative to the BMW ones. good.gif

Edited by Hartside Man, 13 April 2012 - 06:33 pm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#2 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:34 pm

Heyhey, well done good.gif
Making this groove in the weights is brilliant, it's just the proper way to do it. cool.gif

I must say they look even better on the 900 than the more "rounded" 850.
But if I buy a 900 to match it wouldn't be a cheap option anymore laugh.gif

I'm glad I've got mine on (albeit fitted in McGuiver-style), just before the sudden weather change: It's still cold of course but you can clearly feel the difference while still wearing my "Autumn-gloves" on my 20 miles commute.
That was not a banana, Dougal

#3 phoneman

phoneman

really likes Carpe

• 82 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:53 pm

That's a neat job, thanks for the info. I wish I hadn't bought Cycra 'guards last week!!
Phoneman (Mike)

2004 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Honda Dylan (I know but I don't care when it gets dirty, dropped or stolen)

Gone but not forgotten

2006 TDM900A. Airbox mod (thanks JBX), Fuel cans, Safety lights, Garmin GPS, FlipStandard Screen, DL650 handguards (thanks Hartside man), Yamaha topbox and of course a Scottoiler

2003 TDM900. As above.

#4 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:26 pm

Are the DL ones as big as the 1150GS ones??

Cracking tutorial, can I send some of my lecturers to you for some tutorials on giving tutorials?? help.gif
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#5 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:52 pm

QUOTE(jht @ Tue 23rd Jan 2007, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are the DL ones as big as the 1150GS ones??

Cracking tutorial, can I send some of my lecturers to you for some tutorials on giving tutorials?? help.gif

dunno on the first bit, try comparing photo's and make up your own mind tongue.gif smile.gif

nope no letchers here rotflmmfao.gif

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#6 OF.uk

OF.uk

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:04 pm

Excellent job Mark, but where do I get the end weights machined and how much is it likely to cost me?
Cheers.
Paul.

Thinking of visiting Hungary? Then visit my website http://explore-hungary.com/
1993 Yamaha xt600 supermoto

#7 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:06 pm

QUOTE(OF.uk @ Tue 23rd Jan 2007, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent job Mark, but where do I get the end weights machined and how much is it likely to cost me?
Cheers.
Paul.

you must know someone who has access to a lathe Paul good.gif ask around a bit, i am sure you will find someone (maybe dave fud ?) anyway if not, visit your local machinist and ask very nicely good.gif

mine cost me 2 rollies and a bag of chips wink.gif

#8 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:10 pm

QUOTE(amarko5 @ Tue 23rd Jan 2007, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nope no letchers here rotflmmfao.gif

Ohhh yes there are..... ph34r.gif yeahyeahyeah.gif
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:12 pm

Nice work amarko.

Is the silicon doing a job of holding the clip into the machined groove, or preventing rattle?

Did you machine them yersen or get someone else to do it? If someone else did it, just wonderin if you have a price for those that may loike to do this mod.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:19 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Tue 23rd Jan 2007, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice work amarko.

Is the silicon doing a job of holding the clip into the machined groove, or preventing rattle?

Did you machine them yersen or get someone else to do it? If someone else did it, just wonderin if you have a price for those that may loike to do this mod.

the clip fits quite nice on the 17mm (suzi provided ones were a tad slack at 16mm) and yes i felt the silicone would also (glue it in place) whilst being easy to remove and redo if necessary)

regarding the weights any local machine shop should be able to whip them up for you in 10 mins or so. I could ask my local guy if he can, but i feel the weight of them would make it expensive posting each way sad.gif

If i still had access to a lathe i could do it in minutes (unfortunatly thats a no go where i currently work) no lathe anymore , no miller , in fact bugger all. doing jobs at work is like scrapheap challenge rotflmmfao.gif

#11 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:25 am

What an excellent job, looks great. One thing does strike me though, if you used black sealant (I know most of us would only have clear or white handy in the shed) then the grove would be almost invisible.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#12 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:54 am

QUOTE(Andy K @ Thu 25th Jan 2007, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What an excellent job, looks great. One thing does strike me though, if you used black sealant (I know most of us would only have clear or white handy in the shed) then the grove would be almost invisible.

indeed rolleyes.gif but as you suggested I only had clear to hand wink.gif

its easy removed but i aint noticed black silicone on my travels huh.gif will have to look into that one wink.gif

#13 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:09 am

QUOTE(amarko5 @ Fri 26th Jan 2007, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its easy removed but i aint noticed black silicone on my travels huh.gif will have to look into that one wink.gif

I've used it at some stage, but I can't remember where or why unsure.gif You'll get it in any B&Q type place. good.gif

#14 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:04 am

Those nice folks at Screwfix do some in a small tube only £2.50 = cheep, at least until you find all those other bits and bobs to further clutter the shed up with.

Edited by Andy K, 26 January 2007 - 12:34 pm.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#15 Hawmaw

Hawmaw

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 933 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:52 pm

After reading this I quite fancy a pair of these guards so I dropped into Mickey Oates motorcycles in Glasgow today and had a look at them on a 650 VStrom.

I was particularily interested in the Suzuki bar ends and spacers which would seem to be an easier and quicker option than getting a pair machined.

I just about keeled over when the girl in the showroom looked up the price

£22 EACH !!!

I think I'll find someone with a lathe.

Now : Nowt
Then : Yamaha TDM850 4TX , Suzuki GSF1200N Bandit , Yamaha TDM850 3VD , Yamaha 600 Fazer , Suzuki GSXR750G , Honda CB1100F , BMW R75/5 , Yamaha RD250E , Yamaha XS250 , Kawasaki Z250C , Lambretta GP150 , Vespa 150 Super

#16 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:02 pm

QUOTE(Hawmaw @ Tue 30th Jan 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After reading this I quite fancy a pair of these guards so I dropped into Mickey Oates motorcycles in Glasgow today and had a look at them on a 650 VStrom.

I was particularily interested in the Suzuki bar ends and spacers which would seem to be an easier and quicker option than getting a pair machined.

I just about keeled over when the girl in the showroom looked up the price

£22 EACH !!!

I think I'll find someone with a lathe.

Or if you cannot find a Lathe robelst has another method of fixing in this thread http://www.carpe-tdm...o...=2766&st=71

#17 AJ..

AJ..

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:23 am

Looks familier ain't it? rolleyes.gif
Current ride : TDM900,XR650R,NX650Dominator,XRV750RD07
Previous ride : XRV750,XR600R,XR400R,DRZ400S,Husqavarna TE410E,DR350,FZ6S,Bandit400,PX150,Gilera SP180,Gilera VXR200,WR400FS,XR650L,KLX250

My multiply...my life

#18 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:49 am

QUOTE(Andy K @ Fri 26th Jan 2007, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those nice folks at Screwfix do some in a small tube only £2.50 = cheep, at least until you find all those other bits and bobs to further clutter the shed up with.

Hellfires also do black silicon in 40g tubes - for windscreens etc. Sorry - can't recall the price but I bought some so it must be relatively cheap smile.gif

Neat job on the guards and a model piccy set. good.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#19 BigC

BigC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:46 pm

thanks to Hartside Man for this excellent tutorial.

handguards are now fitted to the bike although still waiting on the bar ends comming back from the machine shop.

i didnt fancy drilling my new bike as suggested:
"the clutch side, remove the origonal pivot pin then get a 6mm drill and remove the thread from the bottom of the lever pivot hole (this is needed as the suzuki supplied bolt is a set thread )"

so instead went to my local hardware shop ("modern screws" - love the name!) and tryed to get a new bolt. couldnt get one long enough so went for a threaded rod and cut this to length. then was a simple case of bolts and washers at the top and bottom.

jobs a good 'un. no drilling of the bike and only cost a couple of quid (shop has a minimum £3 charge).

also decided to cut a small notch out the the handguard on the throttle side to ease fitting as they were pushing too close against the cables (see photo 4 on tutorial).

Twin Carbon Can Co Exhausts, TomTom Rider, Scotoiler, Wingrack 2 with 2xGivi E360 panniers, Monokey Plate / Monolock Plate, E360 topbox / E450 topbox, Fenda Extenda, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Stainless Steel Rad Cover, Top Saddlery Tank Cover, Suzuki DL650 Handguards, Pressure Alert Valve caps

Unused - Blue Tall Screen
"Most of the gear, absolutely no idea!"

#20 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:58 pm

QUOTE(BigC @ Fri 16th Feb 2007, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks to Hartside Man for this excellent tutorial.

handguards are now fitted to the bike although still waiting on the bar ends comming back from the machine shop.
i didnt fancy drilling my new bike as suggested:
"the clutch side, remove the origonal pivot pin then get a 6mm drill and remove the thread from the bottom of the lever pivot hole (this is needed as the suzuki supplied bolt is a set thread )"

so instead went to my local hardware shop ("modern screws" - love the name!) and tryed to get a new bolt. couldnt get one long enough so went for a threaded rod and cut this to length. then was a simple case of bolts and washers at the top and bottom.

jobs a good 'un. no drilling of the bike and only cost a couple of quid (shop has a minimum £3 charge).

also decided to cut a small notch out the the handguard on the throttle side to ease fitting as they were pushing too close against the cables (see photo 4 on tutorial).

the only problem using a threaded bar is the fact the lever has a soft bush in it and will wear prematurely on the peaks of the thread unsure.gif

if i was you i would bite the bullet and drill the thread out. this will not cause you any issue if you want to go back to standard as the standard yam bolt has a locknut on the bottom anyhow good.gif

however if the bush wears (with the thread) then there is a possibility it could ride on the thread like a nut and lock up on the top or the bottom of the lever mount huh.gif

just my thoughts as an engineer yeahyeahyeah.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users