6 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey B

Mikey B

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:00 am

Recently I have noticed that my ABS light will flash a few times then stay on. Its an intermittent fault and doesnt happen everytime I ride. If I turn the ignition off and then fire the bike up again it does tend to go off. However yesterday I rode toward Carmarthen on the A48 so not much braking involved however about 6 miles from the end the light came on and stayed on even after I turned it off and on.

By the way I replaced the brakes back in April

Any ideas?

#2 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:26 am

Check ABS sensors position.

(gap between the sensor & the rotor)

ABS light also goes on when you use a LED brake light instead of the std filament one.

top_640.png

#3 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:58 pm

Check ABS sensors position.

(gap between the sensor & the rotor)

ABS light also goes on when you use a LED brake light instead of the std filament one.

is that a fact about using LED rear light, I have recently had similar intermittent ABS warning light symptoms to Mikey B and have an LED rear light on my 9er

#4 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:46 pm

For some reason, the guy in charge of the internal design of the ECU-ABS decided that it should also monitor the brake light and warn the owner in case it is out of order.

Monitoring is based on the resistance of the bulb filament. In case it is replaced by a LED light the resistance is many times higher and the ECU thinks the bulb is broken !

A work-around should be to get the Yellow wire from the ABS-ECU to the bulb, cut it and wire it to the chassis, but I did not try it.

top_640.png

#5 Mikey B

Mikey B

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:15 pm

Cheers for the reply guys. I will look at the sensor later. BTW I have a normal bulb brake light. So hoping for a quick fix.

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:41 pm

I had trouble with mine doing the same, then it stopped as soon as it started.  :dunno: I'd just given the bike a thorough top to bottom clean when it stopped flashing.

Maybe I've damaged something? Oh dear, now I'm worried!

#7 Mikey B

Mikey B

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:39 pm

I still have the same intermittent fault, to be honest I have been ignoring the light as the ABS still kicks in when the light is on. I have cleaned the sensors, plus calipers but still had the fault. As you can see I've ridden like this for over a year

Just wondering is it related to the battery. I charge it every night on an optimate but I had it on charge from Friday until today without using the bike and no light.

I am still on my original battery from when I bought the bike back in 2006 and ride it all year round.

I only bought an optimate about 18months to 2 years ago after I had problems starting the bike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users