11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Bird

Big Bird

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:20 pm

We've all pretty much agreed that good road tyres for the TDM are BT020's and Z6's.

After doing some extreme (extreme for me) gravelly/rocky/clayey fire and forest trails over the weekend, I'm thinking of using the TDM a little more on the roads less travelled. Getting down and dirty on a TDM is great fun banana.gif

So, what other tyres can you recommend for dual purpose use to go on my dual purpose bike?
The majority of use will still be high speed cornering on bitumen, with say, 20% off road.
Unpaved roads will vary from smooth hard-packed clay with a dusting of small loose gravel through to very steep, rutted forest trails with cricket ball sized very sharp rocks, wash aways and the occasional fallen tree to scramble over.

Is there anything out there that will suit? Metzler Enduro or Tourance? Dunlop Trailmax?
What do you use?

Carrie

#2 BobS

BobS

arrived on last train

• 8 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:19 am

Take a look here for what a TDM can do with the Michelin Anakee

http://board.gt-ride...sp?TOPIC_ID=524

http://pg.photos.yah...hLG78BBI_hp1kvG

Welcome to Southeast Asia.

BobS

#3 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:13 am

QUOTE(Big Bird @ Mon 29th Jan 2007, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've all pretty much agreed that good road tyres for the TDM are BT020's and Z6's.

After doing some extreme (extreme for me) gravelly/rocky/clayey fire and forest trails over the weekend, I'm thinking of using the TDM a little more on the roads less travelled. Getting down and dirty on a TDM is great fun banana.gif

So, what other tyres can you recommend for dual purpose use to go on my dual purpose bike?
The majority of use will still be high speed cornering on bitumen, with say, 20% off road.
Unpaved roads will vary from smooth hard-packed clay with a dusting of small loose gravel through to very steep, rutted forest trails with cricket ball sized very sharp rocks, wash aways and the occasional fallen tree to scramble over.

Is there anything out there that will suit? Metzler Enduro or Tourance? Dunlop Trailmax?
What do you use?

Carrie

Tourance is probably the best of the off-road tyres when used on-road. Anything that goes on the rear of an 1100/1150/1200GS will go on to a TDM850 as they are the same size 150/70-17. No-one much seems to rate the Dunlops or Bridgestones (off-road tyres) at all. Michelin Anakee lots of GS people seem to like too. For more serious use it's the Conti TKC80, which I keep hearing are far better on the bitumen than you might expect, $$$ and short life though.

For the front you got no choice but to fit a narrow rear tyre from something if you can find a suitable sized tyre. One of the guys from Sidetrack was running Dunlop knobbies on the front after he lifted the guard a bit.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#4 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:57 pm

QUOTE(AL-58 @ Mon 29th Jan 2007, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tourance is probably the best of the off-road tyres when used on-road. Anything that goes on the rear of an 1100/1150/1200GS will go on to a TDM850 as they are the same size 150/70-17. No-one much seems to rate the Dunlops or Bridgestones (off-road tyres) at all. Michelin Anakee lots of GS people seem to like too. For more serious use it's the Conti TKC80, which I keep hearing are far better on the bitumen than you might expect, $$$ and short life though.

For the front you got no choice but to fit a narrow rear tyre from something if you can find a suitable sized tyre. One of the guys from Sidetrack was running Dunlop knobbies on the front after he lifted the guard a bit.

Al

Can you get something knobbly to match at the front (TDM 850's got a bit of a curious size, even for road-orientated tyres)?

On the Africa Twin, I must say the Bridgestone Trailwing are a lot better off-road than the Tourance, but scary on wet roads. I quite enjoyed the Metzeler Sahara 3 and Avon Gripsters as a compromise, got Avon Distanzia now (about as useful off-road as Azaro wink.gif ) and a set of wheels with Heidenaus (cheap but very cheerful, not much behind the Conti TKC80 on the road good.gif ).
Again, getting the correct (front) size might be a problem for the TDM. And if the front doesn't grip, you'd better hope and pray the rear doesn't grip either rolleyes.gif

Edited by robelst, 29 January 2007 - 01:00 pm.

That was not a banana, Dougal

#5 Godzillamonster

Godzillamonster

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:20 pm

I run Michelin Anakee 15/70x17 on the rear & a Michelin Sirac 110/80x18 on the front.
The Sirac is actually meant to be a rear but works well as a front - fit it in the reverse direction to the directional arrow. Or not - have had it fitted both ways and not noticed any difference.....
I run both tubeless and have Slime in them to cope with any punctures.

Tyres work OK on dirt, really well on tarmac wet or dry - scrape the pegs all the time, very confidence inspiring.

Also give very high mileage - the perfect tyre, eh? banana.gif

Anakee outlasts the Tourance, sticks better & costs less. No brainer really.

20 months on the road riding overland from England to New Zealand on a '91 TDM850.
1wilddogvalleysmall.jpg
http://www.horizonsu...richardandlisa/
TDM round the world - YouTube
290 000 kms before gearbox blew, 190,000 on 2nd motor and still my daily wheelie commuter sports hack

#6 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:28 pm

If you want the best of both worlds (paved and unpaved roads) go for Tourances or Anakees.
If one of those would fit on the 900 rims (queue 900 jokes) they'd be one my baby in a second... sad.gif

Edited by duibhce Kaelann, 29 January 2007 - 09:30 pm.

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#7 AL-58

AL-58

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:31 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Tue 30th Jan 2007, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want the best of both worlds (paved and unpaved roads) go for Tourances or Anakees.
If one of those would fit on the 900 rims (queue 900 jokes) they'd be one my baby in a second... sad.gif

I seen a guy(another Carpe member actually) with a TKC80 on the rear of a 900 a couple of weeks ago, if that would fit so would the Tourance or Anakee, cause they are the same size. Seemed to fit the rim OK.

Al

tdm850-spike.jpgtdm900-kosciuszko-05.jpg

#8 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:08 pm

good.gif

I'm 80% dirt 20% bitumen with the following combination;

fronts IRC GP110 410 s 18 (actually rears reversed) an example of IRC GP110's

rear TKC 80's 150/70/17

They have been an excellent all round combination on both surfaces although the TKC's lasted just over 9k's which is longer than their usual 7k's I am told. The harder you push them the fast they wear out, but grip well.

TKC's are expensive @ AUD$249 but what price do you put on grip & staying upright and besides I figure that with the knobbies, I won't have to backtrack if the weather turns bad on a trip.

Good to see more TDMers' getting off road

drinks.gif

#9 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:36 am

QUOTE(masterbrewer @ Mon 29th Jan 2007, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TKC's are expensive @ AUD$249 but what price do you put on grip & staying upright and besides I figure that with the knobbies, I won't have to backtrack if the weather turns bad on a trip.

Maybe try Heidenau K60's (if you can get them over there?); Cheap as chips, grip well and not far off at all from TKC's while lasting longer good.gif

However, if it's just about doing the odd gravel track normal road tyres like Avon Azaro go a long way too. When you really leave roads and tracks things will be different, but a TDM will always be a handful anyway (power and weight-wise): you may need a bit more than knobbly tyres to master all that rolleyes.gif

Edited by robelst, 30 January 2007 - 11:32 am.

That was not a banana, Dougal

#10 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:35 am

good.gif

Funny I was so close to getting Heidenau K60's this time round, but was talked out of them at the last minute coz the size was too small max 140/80/70 instead of 150/70/27.........Damn!!!

My original investigations were spot on..................... me thinks...................... Damn!................ damn!.......... damn!

Next time maybe although they were only $50 cheaper than TKC's

drinks.gif

Edited by masterbrewer, 31 January 2007 - 11:10 pm.

#11 Johnfrmcal

Johnfrmcal

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:40 pm

QUOTE(masterbrewer @ Mon 29th Jan 2007, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good.gif

I'm 80% dirt 20% bitumen with the following combination;

fronts IRC GP110 410 s 18 (actually rears reversed) an example of IRC GP110's

rear TKC 80's 150/70/17

Hi Masterbrewer, saw your pics on ADV, cool! Did you have to lift the front fender to run the IRC up front or trim anything? How does it do with mudpack with limited front clearance?

#12 masterbrewer

masterbrewer

has been here 4ever

• 1,553 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:07 am

good.gif

Hey Johnfrmcal & thanks

Appears I got too excited uploading piccies that I've exceeded my monthly bandwidth limit until after 7th March when they will all appear again or so I'm told.

I actually removed the original TDM fender for that very reason coz I would have had to remove the wheel to get the original one off each time it got clogged with mud.

I replaced it with a made up one (from the breakers/wreckers, not sure what it came off) that bolts from the top for easier removel and clearing of mud etc.

Since then I haven't seen any mud as yet.

So I don't really know whether the IRC fitted under or not. However I don't think there would be a problem as my speedo is reading approx 10% over which would suggest a slightly smaller wheel diametre thyan the 020's that were on the front before.

Cheers

drinks.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users