Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rear Suspension Bush, Let This Be A Lesson To You!

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:11 pm

to allow the bush to be jacked out through them. A piece of 18mm inside diameter tube would work just as well. The 17mm bush passes through the alloy frame lug and this is where it commonly seizes.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#42 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,746 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:07 am

Better to ask questions rather than mess it up or break something!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#43 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:21 am

In no circumstance hit it with anything.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#44 nav18tor

nav18tor

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:01 pm

This is a similar design flaw to that on the FJR1300. Eventualy it seizes, the dog links break under the stress and the bike then drops into the rear wheel. At least the bearings and bushes are not connected to engine cases....

He who dies with the most toys wins

No more 2007 in white

In it's place is a big blue FJR1300

Touring Portugal? this is the perfect base

145071.png

#45 gilly

gilly

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 61 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:54 pm

Well i had a go and bushes removed cleaned all i need to do now is grease bearings

Removed the last bush using 6mm rawl bolt and large washers, it was a right bugger to get out cheers everybody for advice and help

and thanks lee for the help with the bar ends

A shin is a device for finding furniture in a dark room

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

#46 Deauman

Deauman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:12 pm

I decided to have a go at this job today while I was taking the rear wheel out to get a new tyre fitted. Everything came apart easily except that bush through the frame lug and that is going to need pulling out.  People seem to go for a rawl bolt for this but could you not use a coach bolt where the bolt head would bear onto the end of the bush?  Doesn't a rawl bolt expand inside the bush and introduce the possibility that it could marginally swell the bush itself and make it an even tighter fit?  If a rawl bolt is the best method what length and diameter is required?

Edited by Deauman, 16 December 2014 - 09:12 pm.

#47 Deauman

Deauman

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 109 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:18 pm

Ignore that last post.  Oh, you already did.  I didn't realise that the lug was shouldered at one end and the bush only extracts one way.  On first inspection in my poorly lit garage I thought it could come out in either direction.  Anyway, it pulled out easily enough with a rawl bolt, some WD40 and a heat gun.

#48 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:00 am

Looked at mine Yesterday, bought all the rawl bolts and washers, I ended up with enough for a few sets so I will probably sell them on if anyone is interested.

SAM_0328_zps717c0e84.jpg

Got the rawl bolt in and started turning, bugger me it just slid out ...... :good:

f24142db-9ed9-4e47-aa6e-8a8f3eb14072_zps

I had the heat gun and everything waiting but it was not needed, cleaned everything up and greased the lot, another job done. Thanks for the thread.

SAM_0324_zpsd8109b56.jpg

Cheers, Ivan

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#49 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,746 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:36 am

Where's the fun in that? How boring!

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#50 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:51 am

I love it when a job goes easier than planned, more time to eat cake ! :cake eating:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#51 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:01 am

:good:

#52 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:00 pm

Listen...........is that the gnashing of Dabliks teeth?
Another lucky one then....keep that grease goin' in?
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#53 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,757 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:39 pm

Listen...........is that the gnashing of Dabliks teeth?
Another lucky one then....keep that grease goin' in?

If only mine had been that easy eh Pete, oh well jobs a carrot now, nice one Ivan, got to yours in time  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#54 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:16 pm

I get the joy of such jobs weekly :( drives me crazy, so with that in mind when I got my nice shiny new TDM in 2012 first thing I did was strip it down from new and re grease it all up, plus add some protection and utilise the info found for an old model (or learn from old if you like), Yamaha seem to be short of grease so pays to add some even from new, that plus two rubber well nuts inserted into the back of the swing arm (the holes are already there) two m6 dome stainless bolts and and old plant pot you can stop 80% of the crud from covering the linkage permanently, a big help!

Brand new linkage being removed :)

Foto-MIT4C3CP.jpg

Brand new as shipped from Yamaha, note the amount of grease!

Foto-I7XZOOSW.jpg

Out with the good stuff, Trublu is a marine grade super sticky grease, its like working with a ball of string!

Foto-44BUCUG3.jpg

On it goes :)

Foto-CCGUT3BH.jpg

Job done, here is the plant pot cut to fit.

Foto-6DGERRPB.jpg

These are the linkages I get all the time, it seems that they NEVER get serviced, this one had no needle rollers, they were long gone, but the local dealer gave it a nice fresh MOT :(

Foto-C7FAB6EB.jpg

It pays to check them yourself.

Sorry about all the pics, good job btw Mr Henly/G Guy.

Edited by arthurbikemad, 22 December 2014 - 08:37 pm.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#55 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:32 pm

Got to see a picture of that !!!!!

#56 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:57 pm

Me? The plant pot? I never took a better one but should I guess, if you look inside the arm behind the tyre on my 2012 there are two pre drilled holes, two rubber well nuts fit in perfectly, then a section of large black plant pot cut to form a mini hugger, drill two holes and mount to the well nuts, you can see it in the image, stops most of the fling from the tyre landing crud directly onto the linkage :)

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#57 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:34 pm

Cheers, That's me off to Dobbies in the morning  :good:

#58 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:38 pm

Works a treat you'll love it. Happy Christmas to you all :)

#59 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:25 pm

Thought i'd make the most of the sunshine and raised temperature and regrease the suspension bearings The bike has done 45K so it was well passed a scheduled grease.

Got around to the dreaded bush put the anchor bolt in and was just lightly nipping it up when I noticed the bush was actually turning....boogar me it pulled out as easy as all the others. It suprised me just how much grease there was already in the bearings. Mr Yamaha chappie must have been in a good mood the day he assembled my bike.

I've always librally coated this area with ACF50 so maybe it delayed any corrosion of that particular bush

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#60 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:34 pm

Thought i'd make the most of the sunshine and raised temperature and regrease the suspension bearings The bike has done 45K so it was well passed a scheduled grease.

Got around to the dreaded bush put the anchor bolt in and was just lightly nipping it up when I noticed the bush was actually turning....boogar me it pulled out as easy as all the others. It suprised me just how much grease there was already in the bearings. Mr Yamaha chappie must have been in a good mood the day he assembled my bike.

I've always librally coated this area with ACF50 so maybe it delayed any corrosion of that particular bush

Funny you should post this. I've just been up in the mancave doing mine.

I bought the rawplugs, brought them home but bugga me I bought the wrong size. Totally pissed off at that point.

Any hows up, thought I'd just gently tap an old disposible large phillips screwdriver into the centre hole to see if I could rotate the bush. It spun at first twist and I was even able to draw out the bush using the interference fit of the screwdriver.

All bushes and bearings checked for wear (all perfick) and then lathered in molybdium grease and reassembled.

Hardest job was getting the rear wheel back in !!

This was at 39k, but like you I have always been liberal with spray grease and wd40 to the outside of the pivots.

Result, one healthy TDM and one happy bunny.

Pity I'm on the wagon this month, I could have had a celebratery drink :-(

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users