4 replies to this topic

#1 TKH

TKH

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:31 am

Has anyone had any experience of tyre pressure monitoring systems? I've been looking at one for the bike and they start from about £20 but that those that use an app. Given my phone will be tucked away in my leathers and I don't want to mount that one anywhere I was looking for the slightly dearer ones. I've seen a few but had my eye on this type:

https://www.ebay.co....ToAAOSwi6NbeqJ2

I plan on doing a few long runs over the spring and summer. My tyres seem to be magnets for nails, screws and bassads who like to let the air out of them so wanted a fairly accurate real time backup to my routine manual checks.

2008 black 900, Stebel 134db, Givi 42 ltr top box, Kapa rack, ciggy lighter, heated grips, BMW hand guards, tank bag, soft panniers, PR2s front and rear, K&N airfilter, airbox mod.,Bikevis lights, handlebar offset risers,

#2 steve27bha

steve27bha

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:23 am

My reading of the eBay item is that the sensor is in the valve cap. That - to me - implies the cap holds the valve open so the pressured can get to the cap. So the valve is negated and the only thing retaining the pressure is the seal on the cap.

Hmmmmm.

OK, if the cap falls off the valve will do its job but the cap seal itself could form the source of a leak.

Another query - if the cap has the sensor how does it monitor the air temperature in the tyre?

Hmmmmm again!

A better design with the sensor built into the base of the valve unit - or so it seems to me - is this one:- https://www.ebay.co....5.c100010.m2109

That seems OK but needs the tyre displaced to insert it, and it doesn't have a right-angle valve stem like I find so useful. Also there is a battery on the internal sensor and the claimed life is two years so that replacement would need to be taken into account. Maybe coordinate with tyre change?

Maybe such a combo. (internal, right angled) exists, but I'm not in the market so someone else can go search if they want.

Edited by steve27bha, 18 March 2019 - 11:42 am.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use
CBX750FE in reserve
Cagiva N90 125 in bits

#3 TKH

TKH

has been here 4ever

• 1,853 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:25 pm

My reading of the eBay item is that the sensor is in the valve cap. That - to me - implies the cap holds the valve open so the pressured can get to the cap. So the valve is negated and the only thing retaining the pressure is the seal on the cap.

Hmmmmm.

OK, if the cap falls off the valve will do its job but the cap seal itself could form the source of a leak.

Another query - if the cap has the sensor how does it monitor the air temperature in the tyre?

Hmmmmm again!

A better design with the sensor built into the base of the valve unit - or so it seems to me - is this one:- https://www.ebay.co....5.c100010.m2109

That seems OK but needs the tyre displaced to insert it, and it doesn't have a right-angle valve stem like I find so useful. Also there is a battery on the internal sensor and the claimed life is two years so that replacement would need to be taken into account. Maybe coordinate with tyre change?

Maybe such a combo. (internal, right angled) exists, but I'm not in the market so someone else can go search if they want.

Cheers I'll look at that one.

In terms of temp I would only guess at it being the valve temp?

Fitting one in with an internal sensor isn't too big a job as I do my own tyre changes. Either one I think would affect balance of the wheel so it would be wheel off for whichever. Would be more secure theft wise with the internal sensor. 

Agree about the right angle valve, although there are right angled extensions that can be added to pump up the tyre. They can be a pita sometimes though.

I wonder what happens when the sensor battery dies? New sensor? How does new sensor get linked to the existing system. mmmm indeed.

Edited by TKH, 18 March 2019 - 12:29 pm.

2008 black 900, Stebel 134db, Givi 42 ltr top box, Kapa rack, ciggy lighter, heated grips, BMW hand guards, tank bag, soft panniers, PR2s front and rear, K&N airfilter, airbox mod.,Bikevis lights, handlebar offset risers,

#4 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 01:34 pm

Ideal for local runs I guess.

Love em in the car, but I still inspect the tyres when washing it.........always a hand job.

If ya going on long runs, use your normal gauge to monitor pressures, you can give the tyre/ brakes/ wheel a visual and tactile inspection for pad wear, defects & FO which haven't become punctures yet - you know the kinda stuff you probably do routinely when washing the bike.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#5 TKH

TKH

has been here 4ever

• 1,853 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:18 pm

Ideal for local runs I guess.

Love em in the car, but I still inspect the tyres when washing it.........always a hand job.

If ya going on long runs, use your normal gauge to monitor pressures, you can give the tyre/ brakes/ wheel a visual and tactile inspection for pad wear, defects & FO which haven't become punctures yet - you know the kinda stuff you probably do routinely when washing the bike.

I tend to check my tyres same as you when washing (car and bike), before a run and whenever something looks or feels wrong with them. The hope is to pick up issues that probably will cause problems when on a ride before I get home - punctures, etc.

I tried the valves which show green - if the pressure is ok, amber if it's lost pressure ad red for a problem. What a load of rubbish. I bought them for the cars and bike. I noticed the wife was driving around with a flat tyre but the valve showed green, and many other problems with them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users