#1 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:49 am

Hey gang, 

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been here in a dam long time, and for that I can only apologise. Bikes been laid up since Oct 2017, needing a new shock, new front discs, new front pads, a new thermostat, a dam good service, a dam good clean, some serious love and tarting up. 

In that time, I've bought and fitted a new Hagon shock, bought a second hand thermo (from a kind chap on here some time ago), and I've re-mortgaged the house for new brake discs, which are now fitted and torqued to the front wheel. I've replaced the exhaust header gaskets, painted up the front of the engine, some bits of  the side, giving the old girl a dam good cleaning as I'm going, I've also cleaned up and sprayed the front forks whilst the wheel is off. I'm getting there, albeit very slowly. Life, money, work & time being the main blockers. Inspiration, a little bit, but I'm glad to say that after 2 years of not riding at all the itch is getting unbearable, and I'm back actively working on the bike. The leaking coolant from the old thermo has caused the plug seals to perish, so I now need new caps, and so going to fit new HT leads and new plugs whilst I'm at it and have the access before I fit the new thermo. 

However, after such a long time laid up and stripped down, the throttle linkage is seized. I've taken the carbs off, I've stripped them down, let them soak in the petrol I drained from the tank, and given them a good clean (they were coked full of crap). They are much cleaner, and I was surprised how clean the float bowls were inside actually. Anyhow, the LH butterfly is completely seized. The spring on the left side of the throttle linkage is fine (I first thought it was this as it was so dirty), but now its clean, I can feel it still has tension, and the RH one is fine as when I pull on the linkage, the RH butterfly opens a tiny amount (as much as it can before the LH stops it).  Its something in the actual LH butterfly linkage - has anyone had any experience/same trouble/know how to fix? I haven't tried tapping it to encourage some movement through vibration yet, this was the next idea. 

Now this is a very stupid question, so apologies in advance. The front wheel has been off nearly a year I think now. When I took it off, I cable tied the calipers up to the crash bars so they weren't hanging on the lines, and I put the caliper bolts and other related nuts and bolts from the front (mud-guard fixings etc) all into 1 tub, so I knew where everything was. I went to re-fit the front wheel yesterday, grabbed the spindle and the tub of bits, but no front wheel nut for the spindle. I'm always super careful storing nuts and bolts, and like every man with a shed I have inordinate amounts of jars and ice cream tubs, so if I need an empty one, I've got plenty to hand. Stupid question - Does the Mk1 actually have a front wheel nut for the end of the spindle, or does it simply screw and secure in the fork boot? I've studied many pictures of my and other Mk1s this morn, and to me it looks like there is a nut, and I've spoken to a chap selling a Mk1 spindle on eBay, and he said he doesn't recall there being a nut for the spindle. Am I being completely stupid? If there is supposed to be one, presume it would be a 22mm? 

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:35 pm

Howdy stranger.  No nut on the front axle, it simply screws into the fork. :)

Some carb cleaner might help loosen the butterfly, not come across this problem before though.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:48 pm

No, it doesn't. Been there, done that, too :-)

Bjørge

#4 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:57 pm

Howdy stranger.  No nut on the front axle, it simply screws into the fork. :)

Some carb cleaner might help loosen the butterfly, not come across this problem before though.

Lovely stuff, thanks Studley & Bjorge! - I was starting to go mad, a) because I couldn't remember, b) because I never lose nuts & c) because looking at pictures I thought there was one! 

Tapping and carb cleaner are next steps. Makes me nervous that it may happen again when riding stuck open

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users