#1 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:04 pm

First of all, apologies for a lengthy post - if you nod off half way through you're excused............

When I bought my tooned 900 18 months ago, I knew what Brian 562 had done to it - a lot of money went to TTS Tuning Shop and a fine job was done. Thye first time I rode it it was on 2 teeth larger rear sprox than standard and the way the thing accelerated blew me away - violent wheelies in first and second. Fine for Brian at around half again my weight but OTT for me - I changed back to standard and it was still seriously quick.

I stored it over winter '06 and when I first started it up after a 3 month layof the feckin' camchain rattled like a machine gun for 2/3 minutes. I setup the crank on "T" and adjusted the chain tension. I heard a "clunk" and assumed it was adjusted ok. The noise came back once in a blue moon.

The bike was going well but at the RTT in July '06 I was surprised to have to run pretty hard to stay with Hartside Man's fairly standard 900 (didn't tell anyone of course - especially when Brian had spent over £2k on the motor blink.gif )
When over in CZ Republic with Dapleb the chain started to get noisy again - bad enough to want to try to adjust it again in Grandma Zundapp's back yard. As documented in Dapleb's excellent BLOG I adjusted it again and this time a hooge "CLUNK" told me it was more than the tensioner - the feckin' inlet cam had sprung back 3 teeth. Dappers and I worked by headtorch and no manual to reset the cams and the following morning I gave it a good blast. It was going good but seemed to run out of puff - short shifting seemed a better way of getting past the Power Ranger on the 600. Then the TPS started to give problems (probably caused by the dusty conditions getting crap past the seal)

Youse still awake????????? cool.gif

To cut the story short good.gif I felt maybe the valves might need readjusting since the cams had been reground by Kent and that was why the engine felt less sharp................that would be a winter job I thought.......aye right.......never happened!

As mentioned on another thread about camchain tensioners, I had the bike MOTed on Friday and the helpful mechanic thought he would do a dodge to set the tensioner that he'd done on loads of R6s..........you've guessed it "CLAAAAAAAANNG"..........Feckin' cam jumped again ranting.gif We reset it and today I took her out for a the first run of the year.........JEEEBUS...........the "old" bike is back..............feckin' rocketship again.......front wheel pawing at a half throttle in 1st at 4000 rpm - pulling hard at 2000 in ANY gear....................

The inlet cam must have slipped 1 tooth at that first tensioner adjustment way back a year ago and thats why it was a wee bit "flat", I certainly must've set it a toth out by candlelight in Grandma's yard.............Robelst mentioned a while back that he thought his valve timing was out - these engines can run a tooth out - and fairly well at that!

It's really like having a new bike again - 5000 in 6th and open up full and it just storms up to 120 + in no time..........soooooo much quicker than before - like it was when I first rode it...........sharper bark from the CCC silencers and less popping on the overrun.

Hope you're all asleep now........... cool.gif

Edited by dandywarhol, 08 April 2007 - 11:08 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#2 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:47 am

So ya fixed yer bike. Why didn't ya just say that? huh.gif

Does this mean ya might actually ride the bike?

#3 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:41 am

Zzzzzzzz...Eh? Wassat?......

I'm suprised being a tooth out isn't more noticable than that. Is that normal that most engines will run reasonably well but just a bit down on power without knackering something else?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:34 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................just woke up myself cool.gif ..............these engines turn over at 3 teeth out without the valves and pistons touching Chris - and run!! but VERY flat.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:21 am

Do you think its your hotter cams that cause all the trouble with jumping cams and cam chain tensioner?

#6 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:16 am

No it's not that Steve - they're only mild cam profiles. I didn't make it clear amongst the ramblings that the reason the chain jumps is that although I'd been setting the crank at the "T" mark, I hadn't ensured that it was TDC on the firing stroke - a bit of an amateur mistake blush.gif - it's a 50/50 chance that it'll be right/wrong......if the tensioner is slackened with the cams at TDC, inlet stroke on the left cylinder then the partly opened valves on the other cylinder (90 degrees out) makes the cam slip round.

The first time I tried it I reckon it "only" slipped 1 tooth and I mistook the "clunk" for the tensioner (I was still under the impression it was an 850 ratchet type blush.gif ) ...so it ran for a few thousand miles that way albeit a wee bit flat unsure.gif unsure.gif
The reset in Czech Rep was my mistake as I set it when light was fading and tempers were fractious rolleyes.gif wacko.gif and we'd to move on in the morning.

#7 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:06 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Mon 9th Apr 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it's not that Steve - they're only mild cam profiles. I didn't make it clear amongst the ramblings that the reason the chain jumps is that although I'd been setting the crank at the "T" mark, I hadn't ensured that it was TDC on the firing stroke - a bit of an amateur mistake blush.gif - it's a 50/50 chance that it'll be right/wrong......if the tensioner is slackened with the cams at TDC, inlet stroke on the left cylinder then the partly opened valves on the other cylinder (90 degrees out) makes the cam slip round.

The first time I tried it I reckon it "only" slipped 1 tooth and I mistook the "clunk" for the tensioner (I was still under the impression it was an 850 ratchet type blush.gif ) ...so it ran for a few thousand miles that way albeit a wee bit flat unsure.gif unsure.gif
The reset in Czech Rep was my mistake as I set it when light was fading and tempers were fractious rolleyes.gif wacko.gif and we'd to move on in the morning.

thas good as it sounds like you got it sorted, and i can't wait to see ye and rag d'arse off of it again, bet i'd instantly notice the difference too as my first ride is still quite vivid rotflmmfao.gif wub.gif now all's ya gotta do is experiment with an 850 rat shit cam chain tensioner and hopefully it will fit and solve all yer rattles.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:33 pm

Glad you got it fixed. I look forward to being left behind on the next outing. dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users