#1 Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:26 pm

Just a quick one !

Wifey has difficulty reaching the clutch lever ( not brake oddly !), so I bought a Kawasaki ER500 span clutch lever and its post. Whipped off the TDM, slid on the Kawasaki one with 5 adjustment positions.

The clutch switches are not the same but you just remove the spades out of the TDM 'male' terminal block connector and insulate them with heat shrink and then push the loose tails into the ER5 switch. The ER5 has 3 connection terminals and its the outer 2 you use for the TDM conversion.

Everything else fits where it was - switch cluster and grip plus the clutch cable nipple is the same fit too !!

See the pix on these links for the end result. ( ER5 lever £9 off ebay)

Cheers

M.M.

http://www.bikepics....ctures/1178671/
http://www.bikepics....ctures/1178673/
http://www.bikepics....ctures/1178676/
http://www.bikepics....ctures/1178679/

Edited by Matrix Monkey, 10 February 2008 - 04:29 pm.

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:53 pm

MM thats handy information (no pun intended) to know, tanks ferry much.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Guest_GuyGraham_*

Guest_GuyGraham_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:27 am

Glad you manged to do it Mark

Perhaps this thread should go in the knowledgebase, Admins?

#4 Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:43 pm

QUOTE(GuyGraham @ Mon 11th Feb 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad you manged to do it Mark

Thanks for your help mate.. Mrs Monkey's TDM is now back on the road after its 'holiday' huh.gif

M.M.

#5 Jankers

Jankers

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:53 pm

MM,

Will this fit the mk2,

Did you do just the clutch or the front brake too?

J.

#6 Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:27 pm

QUOTE(Jankers @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MM,

Will this fit the mk2,

Did you do just the clutch or the front brake too?

J.

Hi J.

I did it on Mrs M.M.'s 4TX2 850, which is on a 99 plate but I think is a 97 model as it's the yellow one. It's a direct replacement. The cable nipple is the same fit. The clutch lever is the same shape as the TDM. The lever clamp fits exactly where the TDM clamp was. But you will have to mod up the clutch switch terminals as I've done in the pix.

The front brake lever has a recessed span adjuster already fitted as standard. But I had actually considered banging on an ER5 unit. I don't see why it wouldn't fit or be compatible with existing brake lines. The clutch lever was about 8 quid and a master cylinder would be about 25.

Forgot to mention - the mirror is the same fit too.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Matrix Monkey, 19 March 2008 - 07:28 pm.

#7 Jankers

Jankers

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:40 pm

Thanks for the swift reply Mark.

Very useful info that,

J.

#8 Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:37 pm

QUOTE(Jankers @ Wed 19th Mar 2008, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the swift reply Mark.

Very useful info that,

J.

You're absolutely welcome mate

Mark

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:39 am

Please fix linky dinks and piccies if possible.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:43 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sun 24th Jun 2012, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please fix linky dinks and piccies if possible.

ya having a spring clean ???

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:02 am

Aye, tis spring wedder...and has been all year so might a swell.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:34 am

Have the piccies moved? I'm getting errors on all of the links.

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:28 am

See ear TKH http://www.carpe-tdm...o...c=25191&hl=

#14 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:56 pm

I did this mod on my MK1 the other year. makes riding the bike with my small hands much easier. When I first got the bike, my hand slipped off the original clutch lever at a junction resulting in an impromptu wheelie. I was close to needing fresh underwear.

unsure.gif

Edited by hammerman, 24 June 2012 - 10:57 pm.

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:53 am

Pretty sure it was the clutch lever gibbins from a kwasaki er6,, Hammerman !!!!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:02 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Mon 25th Jun 2012, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure it was the clutch lever gibbins from a kwasaki er6,, Hammerman !!!!

Just checked I fitted the lever and bracket from a Kawasaki ER5 2001.

#17 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:25 pm

Just put this on this afternoon,, it's from a Kawasaki ZZR600,, a bit chunky but fits okay and more robust than the original

I connected the clutch switch with loose tails but also manged to fit them with the connector in-situ,,, if 1st gear is engaged and i drop the sidestand the engine cuts out,, bike wont start in gear with the sidestand down or up with the clutch lever pulled in ( it will using the original !!! ) The 1st post in the thread states to use the outer 2 pins of the Kawasaki 3 pin connector,,, however it dont seem to matter which i use,, result is the same,,, anyone know why or does this seem okay ???

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:37 pm

You should be able to start it in gear with the clutch in and stand up Cliff, quicker to restart if you stall exiting a junction.

Where does the mirror fit ? unsure.gif

Haven't a clue where the wires should go, soweeee bod !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:39 pm

Yep i agree Ian but aint happening for some reason huh.gif need to pull off the rubber grommet you can see on the pic to fit the mirror..

#20 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:53 pm

Could it be a faulty switch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users