#101 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:09 pm

What's your process for stripping and painting the engine Ian ?  As in, method fer stripping and what type of paint please. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#102 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,179 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:09 pm

What's your process for stripping and painting the engine Ian ?  As in, method fer stripping and what type of paint please. :)

mmmm

are you thinking about removing and painting a niner enjun studs???? 

that rings a bell  :P

#103 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:12 pm

Ha, not really Steve. :lol:  I was thinking of how to paint mine once I've fixed the 3rd gear.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#104 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:12 pm

The stripping and painting process is still at the think tank stage. 

Got the engine out of the bike at the weekend. 

J57BqP3.jpg

8hH3cBL.jpg

wEUhojH.jpg

d10yGs0.jpg

daily commuting is not good for bikes! The gunge was 40mm thick in places.

I attacked it with some degreaser a wallpaper scraper and about 3 full kitchen rolls. 

frame is on the way to being clean:

12zyVE1.jpg

The engine doesn't have much in way of paint left on the front face of it. I am currently half way through getting all the crap off it. 

isoAqDn.jpg

RoHgciT.jpg

KppL8Fg.jpg

had a quick look inside at the ported head, and managed to accidentally drop some mud down onto the back of the valves:

IWTH8mC.jpg

rgCGgw2.jpg

I will recover that later. 

Now that I have made a start I think I am going to persevere with these larger throttle bodies. the majority of the port matching will be done in the throttle to head adapter. I've got them so why not.

Edited by Coxylaad, 10 December 2018 - 12:16 pm.

#105 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:32 pm

Looking good. I'm surprised to see the valve guides untouched (more or less) in a ported head. Was it ported with the guides in place ? (not a bad idea by any means)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#106 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:33 pm

It looks like the guides have had a little work on them. I don't believe the guides were ever out. The head (and engine) was tuned by TTS at Silverstone. I like the fact that the finish isn't too smooth. 

That's the first time I've seen down the ports - I just rode it for around 30,000 miles. The fact it is still going so well after 90 odd thousand is testimony to the base engine and the mild tuning work TTS did to it. From memory it put out around 85 BHP at the wheel.

It would be worth doing a leak down test to se if the valve seats/guides are ok

It'll probably be a missile now there are kilos of crap cleaned off it  :pimp:  :rolleyes:

Edited by dandywarhol, 10 December 2018 - 01:35 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#107 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:56 pm

Yes you've done a good cleanup job

#108 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:06 pm

Getting there eh. :)  Took me ages cleaning and prepping the mk2 engine I painted a few years ago.

#109 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:11 am

Bosh. in for a penny, the whole bike is apart now. 

k9YGKZi.jpg

SVGsybB.jpg

ming 
WOcnkZV.jpg

pY153oc.jpg

Now I just have to cover up the bearing races and its ready to be sent off for powder coat. 

start on the engine next. 

#110 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:42 am

Good work

I've always disliked the welds on the frame in the upper mid section. What about grinding them flat (just on the outside) before powder coating....or is that asking for trouble ?

#111 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:28 pm

I thought about that. I would be shitting myself that it just fell in half when I was out riding :D

#112 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:43 pm

I thought about that. I would be shitting myself that it just fell in half when I was out riding :D

lol...probably best to leave it then

#113 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:21 pm

I see where the bastards forced the steering lock!  :sorry:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#114 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:42 pm

has anyone removed the bell crank/relay shock linkage thing from the bottom of the frame?

It looks like a sleeve has been pressed in from one side. It got a bit late for me to start investigating but it looks like I am going to have to somehow knock it out with a drift?

#115 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:45 pm

Yep it only comes out one side Coxy, be careful wacking it with a drift fella, if you wack a bit to hard it's a new frame unless you can weld Aluminium, lots on the site about it..

Edit... Linkydink

Edited by dablik, 12 December 2018 - 10:50 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#116 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:51 pm

im looking but i cant find anything?

the sleeve seems completely siezed up

#117 dablik

dablik

• 10,759 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:53 pm

im looking but i cant find anything?

the sleeve seems completely siezed up

Scroll through the pages, if it's really siezed up you might be better buying a replacement otherwise your gonna have to drill it out, i'll have a look sure it's in somewhere.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#118 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:55 pm

found something. so a rawl bolt is the best solution to turn it out?

#119 dablik

dablik

• 10,759 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:04 pm

Well most have come out with a rawl bolt so worth a try but, mine was so bad Lee Henty had to dremel it nearly all the way through and then break it up to come out, you might get lucky ! the sleeve is case hardened also in case you resort to a dremel.

Youll find some part numbers in this post if a need them, scroll down.

#120 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:55 am

It comes out of the left side. I managed to free up a stuck one by using a long punch and a hammer...inserted the punch in the hole in the left  right side and caught a lip of the pin just enough to start it off

Edited by fixitsan, 13 December 2018 - 09:09 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users