Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Brain Farts, Bash Plates And An Offroad Adventure, (Pic Heavy)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 huskyjon

huskyjon

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:58 pm

The other day i was riding my Husqvarna down some local green lanes without much effort as the damn thing practically rides itself in the rough stuff.and i got thinking to myself, wouldnt it be a refreshing challenge to do some green laning on the TDM. so i rushed home and set out with some mild green lanes in mind,.

The day went well but i never really ventured on anything other than gravel tracks. i realised that id not given the TDM enough credit given its heritage and knew more extreme trails were in order. But Then I had a little brain fart and decided that I sholud do a few things to make the TDM better when the going gets rough.

Heres what I did.

1: Tires, i had a knackered Maxxis detour on the rear and a kings round black thing on the front. hmmm me thinks these will not do so i rings my LBS and obtains a set of TKC80s the front is a rear with a tube. 110 80 18 and the rear is a tubeless 140 70 17

Posted Image

Posted Image

2: With the exhaust running under the motor its bound to get a beating on rough rocky terrain so i knocked up a belly pan/ bash guard / exhaust guard call it what you will,
I used 4 mm stainless steel plate and an angle grinder. I didnt have the camera with me when i started but have pics of the later half of the build.

the first part complet but i didnt like the back so i started chopping.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
here it is finnished
Posted Image

and here it is on the bike
Posted Image

I allready had engine bars fitted which have been modified and braced using an old pair of steel handle bars
Posted Image

other mods included MX footpegs as the originals are slippery

Posted Image

due to the bloody thing being so tall i added an extension to the side stand and made the foot a little larger for soft ground parking.

bar risers and Pro taper sxc lowrise bars

Posted Image
Posted Image

i have also fitted a WP rear shock from a 2005 R6 this is height adjustable and is set with the rear 40mm higher than when i got it. this teamed with the hagon front springs does wonders for my porky stature
Posted Image

and heres the finished beast im waiting on some Polisport hand guards from lbs.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Im just editing a video together of todays green lanes ill pop it in the topic when its finnnished,
So what you think guys does she look ok for a 20 year old machine.
Life is fast, so very worth attempting small dreams. You need to play! Making our own toys is even better. Sidarta 2012

#2 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:09 pm

Sweet.......Look forward to the Vid.

:munching_out:

Edited by TDMick, 27 October 2012 - 05:10 pm.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#3 Marc001

Marc001

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 115 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:15 pm

Looks great..

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:17 pm

Looks very neat. Someone will be along to tell you that its not a suitable boike for offroad...it wont be me, maes it MORE fun in my opinion. :badgerrock:

What pegs did you fit to the front plase and thanks? Was it a direct swap?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 huskyjon

huskyjon

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:21 pm

pegs are spares from my Husky 610, i basically had to weld them to a piece of 30mm box section and drill and tap the box section to fit them to the bike, so was a bit of an arse but an improvement i feel lol.
Life is fast, so very worth attempting small dreams. You need to play! Making our own toys is even better. Sidarta 2012

#6 Filps

Filps

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 64 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:12 pm

Looks good :tup:

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:30 pm

Great stuff jon, love the pics m8,, you should put them in the calendar thread me thinks,, i think thats a good looking mk1 :yeyeye:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 huskyjon

huskyjon

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:32 pm

Great stuff jon, love the pics m8,, you should put them in the calendar thread me thinks,, i think thats a good looking mk1 :yeyeye:

really, well thanks :lol: but which pic could do the calender justice??

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:50 pm

really, well thanks :lol: but which pic could do the calender justice??

Stick em all in i say :lol: more chance to get selected,,,,,

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:57 pm

...except it aint running this year....so oid wait a few months and tek some more.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:32 pm

Yeah, give ya some time to get lots o mud on it :)

Looks good Jon ! Thanks fer sharin'.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:48 pm

Certainly worthy of multiple :badgerrock: :badgerrock: :badgerrock: !!!!

Looks awesome, would love to do this to a MKI. among a million other things when i win the lottery :D

#13 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:17 pm

me like alot. even better that you did all the fabrication as opposed to off the shelf accessories. Looks loike the ultimate round the world TDM.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 huskyjon

huskyjon

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:41 pm

me like alot. even better that you did all the fabrication as opposed to off the shelf accessories. Looks loike the ultimate round the world TDM.

Cheers wickamulla :) im just waiting for the vid from today to convert and upload to youtube. 17 mins long and its taken 3 hours to convert and save. but i suppose it is HD, shame things never look as good on video though but it was still fun. :badgerrock:
just out of interest whilst riding a slow (walking pace) uphill rocky section today the TDM started running realy bad below 2000 rpm (coughing and spluttering) i had to give it handfull to stop it dieing. :unsure2: get it above 2500 and she flies.
would i be correct in thinking the emulsion tubes might need some attention, but carbs are not my strong point, fabrication yes, fiddly magic petrol squirters nooooo. would anyone be willing to help?? i can do most of the work but am a litlte worried about setting them up after a refurb. I anyone local to Rochdale, i can offer a place to work. (my work :lol: if the boss oks it) or i can travel. i will also provide :cake eating: and tea. and any help making things people may need . :lol:

#15 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:56 pm

Hi huskijon!

I weigh only 60kg and I'm 1.73 m tall, so run with a TDM850 (232kg) in green track, trail or even on gravel, not my thing. :hide:
But I am amazed at the audacity of those who venture in this segment.
We congratulate you with the modifications (fabrications) made. :wifgeni:
The photos were very, very beautiful. As we say in Brazil; Show Ball!
The maintenance of carbs will not be an obstacle for people with your skills (changes / mechanical fabrications).
Life is fast, so very worth attempting small dreams. :clapping:
You need to play! Making our own toys is even better.

At the base of the posts from our friend Carpe TDMick has a philosophical phrase: Who dies with the most toys wins!

Cheers!

Sidarta

:

Edited by Sidarta, 27 October 2012 - 09:59 pm.

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#16 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:47 pm

Bloody Hello !!

Just realised your in rochdale ! The pic second from the bottom, is that up whitworth rake? or are you over littleborough way?

I'd happily help with the emulsion tubes if they need doing, Only problem is I might not be much use I have done them on my MKII however the carbs will be different and when I say I did them, It was more StudleyRamrod did loads of work whilst i held a light and chat to him !

#17 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:58 pm

Nice! :good:
Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#18 Blackpin

Blackpin

really likes Carpe

• 82 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:16 pm

I like this very much in deed. sweet chat studley to come and help he help me last year top guy.
I mite be wrong but I did hear that the 1st TDMs was 600 cc and used on the paris to dackar back
in the late 60's then later turned into the 850 TDM road bike ????
jd
Ride the Round Britain Rally this Summer.

#19 huskyjon

huskyjon

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:16 am

Bloody Hello !!

Just realised your in rochdale ! The pic second from the bottom, is that up whitworth rake? or are you over littleborough way?

I'd happily help with the emulsion tubes if they need doing, Only problem is I might not be much use I have done them on my MKII however the carbs will be different and when I say I did them, It was more StudleyRamrod did loads of work whilst i held a light and chat to him !

Well spotted lewis both pics are up blackstone edge, littleborough way. Are you local if so we we should get out for a ride or arrange a get to gether. be cool to meet some of you in person. fitting the tubes doesnt worry me its the fine tuning of the carb settings, balancing, float heights and all the other magic that goes on in there. But id really appreciate the help :) perhaps i should ask work if i can use the factory and organise a fettle day when the weathers a bit nicer. :hide:

#20 huskyjon

huskyjon

really likes Carpe

• 89 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:30 am

Hi huskijon!

I weigh only 60kg and I'm 1.73 m tall, so run with a TDM850 (232kg) in green track, trail or even on gravel, not my thing. :hide:
But I am amazed at the audacity of those who venture in this segment.
:

Well i tip the scales at 125kg and im 6ft 2 (1.88m) so have a little bit more weight ( cake induced fattness :rotflmmfao: ) to throw the big bike around. i also do alot of Freeride and downhill mountain biking and a little enduro riding when the huskys behaving :hide:

At the base of the posts from our friend Carpe TDMick has a philosophical phrase: Who dies with the most toys wins!

:

I loike that, im steadily collecting my toys as i go, but i can deffo see another TDM in the future i can go mental with this one and get a seinsible one for the commute to work :P

Life is fast, so very worth attempting small dreams. :clapping:
You need to play! Making our own toys is even better.

Never a truer word said Sidarta. :good: Infact i like that so much im going to steal it for my signature at the bottom of my posts cheers :badgerrock:

P.S video is at 81% upload to youtube :clapping: took 3 hours to convert and save to pc and 9 hours so far to upload :unsure2: hope you guys like it ill add a linky to my original post when its done ;)

Edited by huskyjon, 28 October 2012 - 07:39 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users